Pipe Tape vs Pipe Dope in High Pressure Hydraulics

/ Pipe Tape vs Pipe Dope in High Pressure Hydraulics #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So I have a weepy connector. Twice now I have taken apart, cleaned and retaped and with limited success. My neighbor has suggested I use Pipe Dope (paste) instead. I have used this in plumbing, both Gas and water with good results but never on a high pressure (3KPSI) applicaitons.

THoughts?

As for the pipe tape, it may be my tape is just old or cheap or.... not sure why I am having htis ussue.

/ Pipe Tape vs Pipe Dope in High Pressure Hydraulics #2  
No matter the application I almost always use Teflon paste. I gave up on teflon tape years ago.

/ Pipe Tape vs Pipe Dope in High Pressure Hydraulics #3  
No matter the application I almost always use Teflon paste. I gave up on teflon tape years ago.
Same here. The stuff I use (Oatey "Great White") is supposed to have PTFE in it and it doesn't harden much, so it won't gum up the valves.
Its rated to something like 3000PSI for gases and 10,000PSI for liquids.

Aaron Z

/ Pipe Tape vs Pipe Dope in High Pressure Hydraulics #4  
People that I know who work with hydraulics INSIST on never using teflon tape, EVER! But, they don't work much with NPT, and anything other then that should seal on its own.

/ Pipe Tape vs Pipe Dope in High Pressure Hydraulics #5  
I was told years ago to never use tape on hydraulic fittings, it may end up somewhere in the system you don't want it.
On our equipment at work we have found Loctite 545 works well.

/ Pipe Tape vs Pipe Dope in High Pressure Hydraulics #6  
When I received my 4in1 I discovered that the male jacks were too large for the tractor's side. My dealership sent me replacement jacks (free of charge!) and I proceeded to exchange them. I think that I used a wee bit of 'pink' teflon tape but, regardless of that, I was extremely careful to not cross-thread.

It took many attempts to get them on 'smoothly' before I tightened them up.

I've never had a drop leak out from those connections.

/ Pipe Tape vs Pipe Dope in High Pressure Hydraulics #7  
Based on recommendations here, I've been using Permatex 54540. It's specifically for hydraulic and pneumatic applications. Won't contaminate my expensive hydraulic fluid and works really well.

/ Pipe Tape vs Pipe Dope in High Pressure Hydraulics #8  
I've always been told to never use teflon tape on hydraulic fittings as well. The reasoning was that the tape can get into the system and mess things up. Is it true, or an old wives tale?

/ Pipe Tape vs Pipe Dope in High Pressure Hydraulics #9  
First thing to know is what type of fitting. Then you may be able to determine the cause of leak. Teflon tape or dope helps tapered threads but nit so much on parallel threads.

/ Pipe Tape vs Pipe Dope in High Pressure Hydraulics #10  
Loctite has a line for hydraulics and other applications such as steam...

I use a variety of Loctite at work...

I also like heavy body Teflon tape for taper threads... as with most things care is required.