Pistol Safety

/ Pistol Safety #281  
I shot the speed load side match with Robby Leatham (and have it on video :) ) @ the 2001 Bianchi Cup that was the highlight of that match.

I have guys I shoot with that are world class shooters and bumping elbows with the big names is actually common if you attend enough match's they are just everyday people mostly. edit: they just shoot for a living. :)

Last edited:
   / Pistol Safety #282  
That is in my opinion totally unrealistic and would eliminate most who would otherwise choose to carry. If that was proposed by someone from Handgun Control, we would be up in arms so to speak. The average CWP individual is not preparing to be a security guard or LEO, only to be able to provide themselves some level of protection in the unlikely event they ever need to.

Well I am certainly NOT from HCI and have NOT said I support not having anyone defend their selfs! :mad:

I see your point but disagree fundamentally seems we have different ideas of what level of protection is necessary just to point a gun at someone is not enough imho.

/ Pistol Safety #283  
Well I am certainly NOT from HCI and have NOT said I support not having anyone defend their selfs! :mad:

I see your point but disagree fundamentally seems we have different ideas of what level of protection is necessary just to point a gun at someone is not enough imho.

Your proposal would preclude me and everyone else with disabilities from having the means to defend ourselves and our families and I can assure you I am capable of doing more than "pointing a gun" at someone. My wife's cousin has been in a wheel chair for close to 50 years; should he not be allowed to have a CWP, how about the elderly who have seen their physical abilities deteriorate over time?

How can you say you support people having the ability to defend themselves if you wish to set the bar so high as to discourage people from completing a course and making it outright impossible for others?

/ Pistol Safety #284  
I haven't shot in anything that bad, but sure had brass down my neck a time or two.

I had a recoil spring that needed to be replaced once in a direct-blowback pistol. As a result, the breech was opening slightly before the round cleared the muzzle, resulting in hot gasses and flecks of burning gunpowder being thrown back at me. I finally diagnosed this problem after getting a fleck of burning powder on my lower eyelid. At first, I thought the brass had stuck between my glasses and my skin, and patiently waited for it to cool down, as they usually, quickly, do. But it kept getting hotter!!! I would like to say that I kept the gun pointed safely downrange as I madly flailed at my burning eye with my other hand, but I'm not 100% sure I did. I replaced the recoil spring, started keeping an accurate round count (so I would know when to replace it again), and got some bigger safety glasses.

/ Pistol Safety #285  
I have guys I shoot with that are world class shooters and bumping elbows with the big names is actually common if you attend enough match's they are just everyday people mostly.

Indeed. I wouldn't have known him from any other shooter, except that his shooting was miles above even the local guys who always won the matches. There was one round with a fast peek-out target that required three shots. Most shooters could only put two shots on it before it popped back in, and had to wait for it to reappear. But he just walked past it as if it wasn't even there. On another course, there was a target on a long zip-line, and the next target was not available until the zip-line target had disappeared. He had put the required number of shots onto the target before it had gone five feet, and as long as he was going to have to just sit there and wait for it to finish sliding, he emptied his magazine into the target and reloaded. Technically, this did not count as round dumping, because every single round went into the target (and, of course, the 0-point zone). Most shooters, having successfully scored zero on the target, wouldn't have risked putting extra rounds onto it, but he was confident enough to know that they were all going in the zero ring, and saved himself a few fractions of a second on a magazine change later in the round.

It really was a pleasure to witness.

/ Pistol Safety #286  
My wife had a few .45acp pieces of hot brass go right down in the old "cleavage" area.. she learned pretty quick to wear a T shirt with a higher collar. To see a grown woman, hollering and shaking and reaching in her top with a loaded and cocked .45 1911 in her other hand (safely pointed downrange I might add) is kind of interesting:)

James K0UA

<clearing throat> I don't think you should call that part of the body "old" if you know what I mean! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Pistol Safety #287  
Your proposal would preclude me and everyone else with disabilities from having the means to defend ourselves and our families and I can assure you I am capable of doing more than "pointing a gun" at someone. My wife's cousin has been in a wheel chair for close to 50 years; should he not be allowed to have a CWP, how about the elderly who have seen their physical abilities deteriorate over time?

How can you say you support people having the ability to defend themselves if you wish to set the bar so high as to discourage people from completing a course and making it outright impossible for others?

Well I am not setting any bar whatsoever and I certainly dint say anyone in a wheelchair shouldn't be allowed you may be taking this personal and I assure it is 100% academics at this point. I apologize if I offended you that is never my style or intention believe me. :)

Just an example of how training could be valuable is how many people know the 21' rule and what to do about it (get off the X and point shoot)? Or the amount of distance a bullet will travel on its own? Or a thousand other tidbits that could conceivably give someone the edge they need in a survival situation that you dont hear in the qualifications class?

I cant change any laws and the states obviously share your opinion or it would be that way now...

I shot for years with a local sheriff who is a master class Glock shooter and he has no legs is wheelchair bound. He was a railroader and fell under a train thats one example. I have shot with people with all sorts of disability's over the years that in itself isn't the problem its the person on the trigger who has to perform.

I am not saying getting a wheelchair around is easy everywhere it sure isn't I realize that.

They had a blind guy compete at the Bianchi Cup last year they have disabled competitors every year and thats only one arena. So I am failing to follow your logic that a training course would preclude anyone from attaining or keeping a CCH permit if there was such a training requirement? I am open to the discussion but I just dont see it at this point sorry. :)

In my case I am somewhat slowed down by having both shoulders are bad and lower back and feet and knees. I cant shoot prone anymore so I quit a fairly long hobby of Action pistol competition and now shoot IDPA (I dont practice anymore :) ) and I just cant get on the ground to shoot under tables etc so my times suck but thats the whole point we do what we can do and make the best of it.

Last edited:
   / Pistol Safety
The discussion of the level of training for CCW permits is the same discussion relative to driver's licenses. Society has opted for accepting the risk of marginally trained operators as being less than the social cost of a higher level of driver's training.

Motor vehicles are just as deadly as guns. There is little push-back on the driver's license risk because more people want to drive than carry firearms.

/ Pistol Safety #289  

Well I see I could have said this a little different. I could have said it "may not be enough" because it may well be and who knows but that is a more rounded statement than the pointed one I did make.