Piston of Stihl MS361 Clone Kit Saw

/ Piston of Stihl MS361 Clone Kit Saw
I wonder if he cut and removed the baffle inside or just cheats like me and just add more outer opening. No cost that way.

I looked through the muffler before installing it and it's completely empty inside, just like the vendor told me before I ordered it.

Surely it's little noisier than the original was, but with the hearing protection on it's hard to tell a difference.

/ Piston of Stihl MS361 Clone Kit Saw #22  
Thanks for the info.

Arto, where did you get your muffler at?

/ Piston of Stihl MS361 Clone Kit Saw #23  
I looked through the muffler before installing it and it's completely empty inside, just like the vendor told me before I ordered it.

Surely it's little noisier than the original was, but with the hearing protection on it's hard to tell a difference.
Good deal.

I know some of the aftermarket ones were empty inside. But I have yet to come across one.
That would make it so easy then.

/ Piston of Stihl MS361 Clone Kit Saw
Thanks for the info.

Arto, where did you get your muffler at?

I searched eBay for modified MS361 mufflers and it came up.

The vendor called it "Rippa" muffler.

1663447104340.png

Last edited:
   / Piston of Stihl MS361 Clone Kit Saw #25  
All the later Stihl saws and brushcutters suffer from the same exhaust issues. For some reason Stihl especially has succumbed to the 'noise police'. On my not often used MS, I took the muffler apart and milled out the restrictive baffle but left the spark screen intact. It's loud but not as loud as my 40+ year old 028 WB. It's a frigging chainsaw and you don't cut wood in a library so wear ear protection and let it rip. My 'go to' saw is still my 028 WB and always will be actually. It's a tad heavier than the new plastic parted ones but I appreciate real metal (magnesium alloy castings) anyway.

I also own a dried out (no gas in the carb or fuel tank and a bit of fogging oil so it stays nice inside), 075 with a 5 foot bar and square tooth chipper chain. On the shelf, collecting dust and I may sell it at some point. Love the sound the 075 and the 090 makes, they sound like a motocross bike. You have to be a Charles Atlas to use it though, it's HEAVY.

/ Piston of Stihl MS361 Clone Kit Saw #26  
I did a muff mod on my 026 pro, 034 super, 036 pro, 361 and 044mag. Each is a bit louder but all perform like the next larger sized saw. Simple re-tune which was not much more that opening the H 1/8 turn or so.. After looking at the modded muffs on E-bay, I did my own and slightly angled the tubes toward the bar. The spinning chain actually helped get rid of the exhaust to a degree.. No regrets.

/ Piston of Stihl MS361 Clone Kit Saw #27  
Wish I could muffler mod my saws...but with all the fire danger in CO if a fire were to start I would have full liability because of the mod...just not worth it. At 8600 ft the muffler mods would help a bunch.

/ Piston of Stihl MS361 Clone Kit Saw #28  
Wish I could muffler mod my saws...but with all the fire danger in CO if a fire were to start I would have full liability because of the mod...just not worth it. At 8600 ft the muffler mods would help a bunch.
Guy I know in WY deals with same issue and required to have spark screens. He mods them all and just adds spark screens back to exits. Just match up screen used cut to sizes needed and install.

Like stihl does on their dual port front covers and side exits.

/ Piston of Stihl MS361 Clone Kit Saw #29  
Guy I know in WY deals with same issue and required to have spark screens. He mods them all and just adds spark screens back to exits. Just match up screen used cut to sizes needed and install.

Like stihl does on their dual port front covers and side exits.

Thanks maybe I need to pop one off and see if I can work something out.