Pittsburg plow??

/ Pittsburg plow?? #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
Anyone ever heard of Pittsburg plows? Are they decent quality? What about automatic spring reset shanks? Are they beneficial?:confused:

/ Pittsburg plow?? #2  
Glowplug said:
Anyone ever heard of Pittsburg plows? Are they decent quality? What about automatic spring reset shanks? Are they beneficial?:confused:

Not "decent", more like real good. They, along with White (formerly Oliver) built most of what plows Ford sold after the late 60's. Auto reset shanks will literally reset themselves back into the ground without the tractor needing to stop moving after they hit a buried obstruction. Sounds like a plan. There's extra weight to contend with on that sort of plow. There's also extra maint. and upkeep. Initially, there was much higher purchase price too. If you can get them cheap enough and they're in working order, plus you have a tractor that will handle them, they're not a bad plow at all.

/ Pittsburg plow?? #3  
I second FWJ: Pittsburg plows are heavy and if you have a tractor with enough "butt" to pull one you'll have something that will last a long time. Pricing around here for White or Pittsburg is usually from twice to three times as much as other brand plows. I suppose folks just like the look of that big spring sticking up. BobG in VA

/ Pittsburg plow??
Thanks FWJ, that helps a lot. The tractor I will be getting is an 85hp Kubota M8540. You know our Kentucky soil. I think that tractor would handle a 3-16" plow of that sort in Kentucky soil. You tend to be so knowledgeable of ground engaging implements; please let me know if you don't think it'll handle that plow in the Bluegrass. I may go ahead and get it.

/ Pittsburg plow?? #5  
Glowplug said:
Thanks FWJ, that helps a lot. The tractor I will be getting is an 85hp Kubota M8540. You know our Kentucky soil. I think that tractor would handle a 3-16" plow of that sort in Kentucky soil. You tend to be so knowledgeable of ground engaging implements; please let me know if you don't think it'll handle that plow in the Bluegrass. I may go ahead and get it.

85 HP will handle 3X16"'s with no trouble whatsoever. That's more then enough tractor! You're a bit more clay based with your soil than I am. (You're probably 50 miles east of me) But even in the worst of conditions that's enough tractor for that plow.