Placebo effect...really?

/ Placebo effect...really? #71  
I don't believe he told every patient this. Here's why. Dad had thyroid cancer from x-ray treatments for a sore throat as a child.
Years later (1962) he felt a lump and ran low grade temperature. Grandfather next door was a doctor, recommended local surgeon which he did. Then Grandad recommended Sloan-Kettering to be sure. That surgeon found it had spread (radical surgery...poor Dad, removed some arm muscles, radical neck & chest work).
There was a lady there, same age, same exact condition, surgeon said "she won't make it" and she didn't.
Dad had tremendous will power, even at home started splitting wood! Had to use "good" arm until gradually gaining some use.
I know what you're saying, doctors have to be positive with patients.

/ Placebo effect...really? #72  
Well, my latest "fix" is not a permanent cure, but, it helps for several days at a time.
The fix is derived from a suggestion that a pain doc that I go to directed me to,,
His recommendation is a topical ointment called PENNSAID,, a prescription product, and he gave me a dozen sample packs.

PENNSAID is like a miracle cure,, apply it, let it set (do not put clothing over it or wipe it off) then in about 10-30 minutes, the area is pain-free,,
The main problems with PENNSAID are;
1) it is only recommended for knee pain,
2) it is CRAZY expensive,, ( in my case, the pharmacy quoted $2,300 for a tube)

There is an over the counter version of PENNSAID, which is relatively cheap, but, for me it does not work hardly at all. (VOLTAREN is the name of the generic)
The OTC version is something like 10% of the strength of PENNSAID, and only cost $25 for a rather large tube of it.
I guess if I applied it a couple times a day, it would be OK,, but, i was spoiled by PENNSAID,,
so,, I went researching,,

There is a video on the PENNSAID website (the only place I found this info,, by the way) and that video hinted that PENNSAID is derived from DMSO,,,
Don't hold my feet to the fire, I don't have the exact quote,, you can go looking for it if you want it.

Anyways,, I found DMSO is available at Tractor Supply, and on Amazon.
I ordered the stuff from Amazon,,

All I can say is that it works!!
Disclaimer DO NOT USE THIS, I offer this info for reference only,,
This info is for entertainment purposes only,,

OK,, I used a rubber glove,, and applied about 10% of the amount of PENNSAID that I had applied,,
I washed it off about 10 minutes after application,,

The Results?? I was pain free for three days,, I consider it a win. I have been using it for just over two months.

The pain I use the DMSO for is some form of Achilles tendinitis,, it is painful when I walk down steps. I have had that pain for over three years.
PENNSAID was the first relief that I found,, DMSO was the second.
Granted, I have to apply it a couple times a week, I am good with that.

The pain had increased to the point that I hated going to the basement to do laundry. Now, I go right up and down the steps, pain-free.

PENNSAID, and VOLTAREN are NSAIDS like aspirin, and ibuprofen,, even though they are topically applied, I think they have similar side effects. Probably the same for DMSO. I use so little DMSO, I feel the side effects that might be possible should be minimized. I only use an amount that would equal the size of a shirt button , twice a week.
My doc said that topically applying does minimize side effects, as compared to taking pills internally.Y
Yes, you are right. The Pennsaid is like a miracle cure. But you have been extra cautious while using this. There are some precautions to be undertaken while using such as:
  • To be used on dry skin only as directed by the doctor.
  • Apply on the affected knee 2 times a day.
  • After application of the medicine let it dry for some minutes.
  • Not to wear any clothes over the treated knee after this medicine until it is completely dry.
  • Not to apply any sunscreen lotion or any other cream until it is completely dry.
  • Wash your hand before and after the application of the medicine.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth while using this medicine.
  • Avoid shower/bath at least for half an hour after this medicine.
  • Not to apply on wounds.
For a more detailed procedure to use this medicine, you can read the Canadian pharmacy website.

Last edited:
   / Placebo effect...really? #73  
I've had a similar experience with salt lamps, don't know if anyone's heard of them. They are supposed to help remove dust and allergens from the air.

I would wake up every morning with a sinus headache and needed to take some type of decongestant. I read about the lamps and figured WTH, and ordered some. Honestly I did not think they would do any good and by many reports they don't.

I've had them in the house for going on 3 years and I rarely wake up with a headache any more.

Is it all in my head? Honestly I don't care because I feel better.