Planning to get a Millermatic 211 pros/ cons?

/ Planning to get a Millermatic 211 pros/ cons? #1  

J.Wal

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3130
Planning to get a Millermatic 211 for DIY stuff around the house/ tractor.

Like the ability to do 120/ 240 with a simple plug change, multiple sizes of are both regular and flux core.

I played around with welding back in high school and loved it but got into law enforcement and finally got the money to get a good welder.

Think this is the best for my needs. Anyone have one? Any pros/ cons to it?

/ Planning to get a Millermatic 211 pros/ cons? #2  
Planning to get a Millermatic 211 for DIY stuff around the house/ tractor.

Like the ability to do 120/ 240 with a simple plug change, multiple sizes of are both regular and flux core.

I played around with welding back in high school and loved it but got into law enforcement and finally got the money to get a good welder.

Think this is the best for my needs. Anyone have one? Any pros/ cons to it?

You can buy a Hobart equivalent for less money.
Hobart is owned by Miller.

/ Planning to get a Millermatic 211 pros/ cons? #3  
If you are lucky you can get one on sale with the spool gun attachment included.

/ Planning to get a Millermatic 211 pros/ cons? #4  
I assume you are looking at the new 'inverter' models. I have the older 'transformer' model bought a couple years ago and I absolutely love it. Personally, I would suggest looking for one of these if you can find it highly discounted, unless you want the lighter weight newer ones for portability. Less to go wrong (I think) with the transformer units. Just my opinion.

/ Planning to get a Millermatic 211 pros/ cons? #5  
I had a Millermatic 175 but wanted more power. I bought the 211. I like that its light weight but hate how when you pull the trigger it starts out slow then speeds up. I just bought the Hobart 211 for my Colorado place. Welds like my old 175 did but man it's heavy. If you don't plan on moving it around by hand buy the Hobart 211 and save some money

/ Planning to get a Millermatic 211 pros/ cons? #6  
I bought an inverter 211 early this year before the recent price bump. I'm new to welding and don't have a lot of time on this one yet but so far I am very pleased. Its a well built machine that is light, compact, simple to setup and use either on autoset or manually. There are less expensive options but if your budget allows I think you'd be pleased with the 211 for home and tractor projects and repairs.

/ Planning to get a Millermatic 211 pros/ cons? #7  
I had a Millermatic 175 but wanted more power. I bought the 211. I like that its light weight but hate how when you pull the trigger it starts out slow then speeds up. I just bought the Hobart 211 for my Colorado place. Welds like my old 175 did but man it's heavy. If you don't plan on moving it around by hand buy the Hobart 211 and save some money

The biggest complaint I hear on the 211 inverter is that they have the run in speed set way too low. Stumble starts are the norm. Hate that !

/ Planning to get a Millermatic 211 pros/ cons?
I have ended up changing my mind and to a ESAB rebel. The one that does tig, stick and mig.

Think it’s a well rounded machine

/ Planning to get a Millermatic 211 pros/ cons? #9  
So I have a ThermalArc 211I , which I think is the predecessor to the new Esab machine. Have the tig, mig, stick, spool gun, pedal. Have had the machine for years now with lots of hours on her. I find that I rarely use the spool gun, have used the TIG 3 times (DC only so no aluminum) . Maybe when I have more patience and quit needing to weld crap rusted metal I will take the time to master it more. Part of me wishes that I would have bought the Miller. This machine stick welds beautifully, though I MIG 90% of the time. The MIG gun itself has a strange nozzle set up and heavy or could be cleaner overhead welding requires the use of nozzle gel and frequent cleaning. Overall I think that the Miller MIG performs better and smoother. Something to consider if you are really needing a MIG.

/ Planning to get a Millermatic 211 pros/ cons? #10  

Not aware of Hobart making a 211...Do you mean the Hobart 210MVP?

Now my thoughts about what machine to buy...

Depending on you needs and skills, the bigger Miller or ESAB machine may be a investment above you needs.... You really need to determine if STICK and TIG in your future....I gave up nice Lincoln stick (tombstone) many years ago (maybe 12-13), because it sat a long time never used and I though there was no more welding in my future..... About 5 years ago I got brave bough a Hobart Handler 140 and found out so far it fits all my needs (well almost) ... Its a bit of a light weight and in hindsight wished I got the 210MVP..... But as of yet I can not TIG because of lack of skills, and would probably never go back to stick once learning MIG (GMAW - FCAW)...

Guess what I am trying to say is what are your real needs, yes all the glitz and glitter of super-duper machine looks great, but do you really need all that stuff...

Dale