Plans for a horse run-in/equipment shed? Can one building do it all?

/ Plans for a horse run-in/equipment shed? Can one building do it all? #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
Wife and I are building a house in the next year or two. We have a horse and 2 donkeys that will come with us. They currently have a 6 stall ball with a walkway in the middle.

The new horse barn needs to be able to shelter the horse in one stall, the donkeys in the other stall, maybe a small room for tack. I also would like to have a lean-to on the back or side of it to park a lawn mower/hay bales etc.

Anyone have a plan for what I'm needing, or an idea of how it would be built? I'll be building this myself.

/ Plans for a horse run-in/equipment shed? Can one building do it all? #2  
I have some ideas in my head but no plans. One thing you need to do is make sure your equipment area is well sealed from the animals to keep the dust from covering everything.

/ Plans for a horse run-in/equipment shed? Can one building do it all? #3  
Wife and I are building a house in the next year or two. We have a horse and 2 donkeys that will come with us. They currently have a 6 stall ball with a walkway in the middle.

The new horse barn needs to be able to shelter the horse in one stall, the donkeys in the other stall, maybe a small room for tack. I also would like to have a lean-to on the back or side of it to park a lawn mower/hay bales etc.

Anyone have a plan for what I'm needing, or an idea of how it would be built? I'll be building this myself.

I built a 20 x 28 equipment shed about 8 years ago that's built pole-barn style (posts, beams, purlins, and 28 gauge metal sides and roof). Cost about $2.5K for materials at Home Depot.

Equipment shed posts-1.JPGEquipment shed-1.JPGEquipment shed-2.JPGEquipment shed-3.JPGEquipment shed-4.JPG

Foundation: 18x18" x 24" deep concrete with rebar and embedded Simpson post supports.
Beams: Doubled 2x12 and 2x10 glued and nailed
Purlins: 2x4 Douglas fir
Rafters: 2x6 Douglas fir
Knee braces: 4x4 Douglas fir with 1/2" lag bolts

I prefer to paint the pieces before assembly. Hate to stand on the ladder with a paint brush in hand.

Good luck

/ Plans for a horse run-in/equipment shed? Can one building do it all? #4  
There are some collections of ag building plans available from University Extensions and the like. Some of the plans might be old and construction techniques have changed but they should be a good place to start if not exactly what you need. Here is one such repository:

Agricultural Building and Equipment Plan List

If you search for something like 'agriculture building plans' you can find these repositories.