Plant Removal

/ Plant Removal #1  

NCMau

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 202/Ford 8N
I have to remove and replant a plot of azaleas into another area. I was thinking about chopping them with a chainsaw first, about a foot off the ground and then use my box blade with ripper to remove them out of the ground. It does not matter if I lose some plants because I have more than what I need.
Just trying to same my back from unnecessary work.
I never tried this method before and maybe you guys a better idea.

/ Plant Removal #2  
Wrap a chain around the base of the bush and lift with your loader. If you don't have a loader, hook the chain on your rear hitch and drive forward. They will pull out fairly easily.

/ Plant Removal #3  
I pulled a bunch with my mini excavator and hydraulic thumb. Maybe excessive but anything to save work is a win.

/ Plant Removal #4  
I've transplanted azaleas with my pallet forks, just put them together and got under the bush to pop them out. Removed old one and dug out and set the replacment without even getting off the tractor lol.

They have a pretty light root system, just do it while the ground isn't rock hard dry.

/ Plant Removal #5  
I've transplanted azaleas with my pallet forks, just put them together and got under the bush to pop them out. Removed old one and dug out and set the replacment without even getting off the tractor lol.

They have a pretty light root system, just do it while the ground isn't rock hard dry.
yup can use the forks to dig the hole and back fill.

/ Plant Removal #6  
Quick spade is a handy loader attachment for doing what you describe. Be sure to trim back the tops since you comprise the root system.

/ Plant Removal #7  
Quick spade is a handy loader attachment for doing what you describe. Be sure to trim back the tops since you comprise the root system.
they are nice rented one, bought one, found forks worked just as good if not better. Sold it then you don't have to carry two attachments around. We have basically a rectangle that we side over the forks to hold them together. Take it off spread the forks a part you can pick up the tree ball. It will slid off right into the hole. You take the bucket with you on the forks to where you are going to dig the hole. drop the bucket push the forks together dig the hole. Then the bucket is sitting there to put the extra dirt. If it is a smaller tree and you do it right you can do everything with one trip across the lawn. People(wife) don't like it if you tear there lawn up. Moving a cross a lawn with two mats is a lot of work. Put one foot in front of the other..... i can do it by myself even with my lifting restrictions. I ended up having to cut my mats in half though. Last time i made the wife move the mats.

/ Plant Removal #8  
Think relatively easy to get out of the ground. Like the suggestion of pulling them with your FEL. Could probably just get it under the edge of one and just yank it out.

Use of chains from the back of the tractor, preferably over an old tire rim, but there's risk of the chain breaking and coming back and killing YOU.

Never have forgotten the chain that broke when my dad was pulling one of our cars with his tractor. Chain broke and wrapped back across the hood of the car, just short of the windshield.

Ralph

/ Plant Removal #9  
Think relatively easy to get out of the ground. Like the suggestion of pulling them with your FEL. Could probably just get it under the edge of one and just yank it out.

Use of chains from the back of the tractor, preferably over an old tire rim, but there's risk of the chain breaking and coming back and killing YOU.

Never have forgotten the chain that broke when my dad was pulling one of our cars with his tractor. Chain broke and wrapped back across the hood of the car, just short of the windshield.

Ralph

Pulling bad.
With a set of pallet forks you can dig your way around poking them into the ground ripping the roots. Then use them to get up underneath and they will pop right out. Then like a set of fingers you can use them to dig the hole out. Now I must confess, I do that on the end of a skid loader, however..... I would think you can do it with the fel on a tractor?
For bigger trees I have welded teeth on to the side of the forks so you can cut the roots. Pulling it in and out cuts the roots. Then you can slid the forks under the root ball, curl the bucket back, push forward and curl the forks back. The same motion you would do if you where filling the bucket with gravel. I have pulled some pretty big stumps that way.

/ Plant Removal
Lots good suggestions, thanks. I guess since I have a loader the easiest thing for me is to lift them up with a chain. I have done that many times with a single bush. Chainsaw a foot or so above ground and go from there.
Also I have to consider that these plants are in-between pine trees and using forks, pine trees roots would create more problems than I want get into.