Planting/growing Buckwheat

/ Planting/growing Buckwheat

Attachments

• IMG20230803135402~2.jpg
    IMG20230803135402~2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 60
   / Planting/growing Buckwheat #22  
Thanks! Crimping was new to me. I'm glad the bees love it.

I like both the grain and the leaves (spinach like). I have never tried the flowers.

All the best,

Peter

/ Planting/growing Buckwheat #23  
If it had went to seed, it will definitely grow again, even after crimping
It will continue re growing until frost.
We used to use it as a cover crop to help with weed suppression in food plots for spring and summer.
It’s great for pollinators, and all sorts of wildlife
This year the seed was too expensive for me to justify it
Maybe next year we will use it again

If it had went to seed, it will definitely grow again, even after crimping
It will continue re growing until frost.
We used to use it as a cover crop to help with weed suppression in food plots for spring and summer.
It’s great for pollinators, and all sorts of wildlife
This year the seed was too expensive for me to justify it
Maybe next year we will use it again
It blossomed 5 weeks ago, it had a lot of seed on it. Tilled a couple inches deep. The seed from the Amish was about $1/pound... I planted 100 pounds. If I get two blooms, I'll be happy!

Tilled in 4 days ago and it's sprouting up all over the place again! Yes!

Well, hell. I spent a couple hours slowly churning the buckwheat back into the soil one week ago. So, a couple gallons of diesel... Look at this volunteer stand!
IMG_20230810_102527.jpg

Well, the buckwheat is about 2' tall and blooming! So, about three weeks after tilling in the first crop, the volunteer crop is up and making nectar. The goal was to get a bloom through September, and I think that will happen! This crop has had higher heat, and the color of the plant is a more pale green... Not the deep green foliage of the first crop. It's also arguably a denser stand. The experiment worked!

The second crop began blooming at three weeks, and now after three weeks of blooming it is setting seed and losing its blossoms. The late season buckwheat grew fast, not as tall, and had a much shorter bloom. It was free, so I guess it’s fine. Really thinking of planting phacelia next April.