Planting oats with ancient iron

/ Planting oats with ancient iron #11  
Thanks, I think theres a company that sells a swage set that you can hammer dents out of Deere grills, it looks to be the same form as the Moline grill. I just noticed yours was a wide front. The only other wide front ive seen. I know a collecter nearby that has one that he cut down. He removed the drive shaft cover tube and shortened the shaft down. The rest are Averys. Mine has a alot of welding on the cover tube and its all stainless. I may add an A model transmission like the oliver crawlers used. It would slow my PTO down to but I could still use it for hilling or other work. Right now I need to get a couple greenhouses traded for before i work on anymore tractors.

/ Planting oats with ancient iron
Thanks, I think theres a company that sells a swage set that you can hammer dents out of Deere grills, it looks to be the same form as the Moline grill. I just noticed yours was a wide front. The only other wide front ive seen. I know a collecter nearby that has one that he cut down. He removed the drive shaft cover tube and shortened the shaft down. The rest are Averys. Mine has a alot of welding on the cover tube and its all stainless. I may add an A model transmission like the oliver crawlers used. It would slow my PTO down to but I could still use it for hilling or other work. Right now I need to get a couple greenhouses traded for before i work on anymore tractors.

I like wide front high crop tractors like the BF. I grabbed this one as soon as I saw the front end in the craigslist photos.
This BF is a 1951 B.F. Avery model R (MM bought B.F. Avery in 1951).

/ Planting oats with ancient iron #13  
I like the wide fronts to. I have a friend that stole a SuperC wide front. He found it in a yard full of junk and was told to take it to the dump. He dumped it at his house and had it running in a few days. Kinda the same way I got the Moline. Theres one other wide BF I know of and it was a factory conversion to a forklift wit hthe controls reversed and the ring gear flipped.

/ Planting oats with ancient iron
I like the wide fronts to. I have a friend that stole a SuperC wide front. He found it in a yard full of junk and was told to take it to the dump. He dumped it at his house and had it running in a few days. Kinda the same way I got the Moline. Theres one other wide BF I know of and it was a factory conversion to a forklift wit hthe controls reversed and the ring gear flipped.

Another reason I grabbed this particular BF is that it has a 3pt hitch that's powered by the HKG hydraulics unit (pump, hyd cylinder and reservoir). All this 3pt stuff is bolt-on parts--nothing integral to the tractor like modern 3pt systems. Makes it easy to fix when the 3pt acts up.

Here's the 3pt hitch-rear view-a real Rube Goldberg contraption, but apparently it works

DSCF0048 (Small).JPG

The hydraulic ram on the left side of the tractor

DSCF0034 (Small).JPG

The ram and the reservoir

DSCF0146 (Small).JPG

The hydraulic pump on the right front part of the tractor. The pump is gear driven off the timing gears on the front of the engine. The governor is attached to the same gears that drive the pump.

DSCF0121 (Small).JPG