Plasma / LCD TV. What size?

/ Plasma / LCD TV. What size? #1  

alchemysa

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B1550HSD
We are finally in the market for a wide screen TV. (2 actually) But I'm quite unsure about what size. I really don't want to make a mistake and go too big. I've been in some homes where I find the TV uncomfortably large but perhaps thats just because I'm not used to them. (Our current TV is just a 26" Phillips CRT.)

The shops are full of 42" models but some of the guides I've seen suggest that that might be a bit big for viewing from about 3 to 4 yards. Anyone got any comments on this?

/ Plasma / LCD TV. What size? #2  
There are charts that show how big to go relative to how far back you're sitting. I think a 42" 9 to 12 feet away will be just fine!! You're likely in 50" range I'd think.

Here's a chart I found for you:

What Size HDTV is Right for My Room?

I really wanted to mount a flatscreen above our fireplace, but the installer strongly advised against it because of neck strain associated with looking up all the time, just FYI.

Have fun!!

-Jer.

/ Plasma / LCD TV. What size? #3  
I used a chart like that, and went with a 50" LCD @ 12' away. Very happy with the results.

I understand the "to big" theory.

/ Plasma / LCD TV. What size? #4  
I don't have a scientific answer, but as I replaced my old 4:3 sets, this is what I learned going to widescreen

Had a 27" in the bedroom for years - bought a 27" flat panel - too small due to the widescreen profile. It set too low on the existing stand and my feet were in the way when laying in bed. It is now my PC monitor :D. Went 42" to replace and it is perfect.

Replaced the old 36" standard set with a 50" flat panel.

IMHO, 42" is the smallest you should go in a family room setting, regardless of how you set it up - wall, stand, whatever. If your doing a home theater type room, definitely 50" +

It may seem too big at first, but after two weeks you'll love it and wonder how you ever watched something smaller. I agree with height of the mount though - mine are all on stands and the veiwing angle is just fine. MIL has one on the fireplace and it seems like you're craning your neck up a little to watch - but it's not uncomfortable
-Eric

/ Plasma / LCD TV. What size? #5  
We recently bought a 42" Toshiba that works well for us. It is wall mounted so that I look up slightly when seated in my recliner. I am 12' from the TV and that suits me fine. My wife is a little closer, nearer to 9" and doesn't feel like that's too close.

Vernon

/ Plasma / LCD TV. What size? #6  
I bought a 42 inch Philips Flat Screen and while looking I was told that I shouldn't buy a Plasma Screen TV because they are on their way out. That's why they've come down so far in price from where they started. I bought mine just BEFORE the economic slowdown too. Don't know if it's true, but I was told that the plasma starts to break down after a while. The store had plenty of Plasma Screens too, so they didn't have any reason to lie to me in that regard.

Anyway, I sit about 8-9 feet away from the screen and that 42 inch is as big as I would want to have. In the flat screen TVs, the brightness,the colors and contrast appear to me to be much brighter than in the other types of TVs. Also, a flat screen TV doesn't have the problems with light deflection from windows, table lamps, etc. like the older screens do, so viewing the screen from various angles is no problem.

/ Plasma / LCD TV. What size? #7  
We've got a 40" Samsung LCD in the living room. If there are extreme closups with a lot of motion its too big. this is from 5'-10' away. Otherwise its fine. We sit in the kitchen (our LR & K are like one large room) which is 25' away and watch the news while we eat supper and there's no problem seeing the TV clearly.

/ Plasma / LCD TV. What size? #8  
We're looking at the 52 inch screens. We sit about ten feet away from the wall, where it will go and currently have a 52 inch TV that still works. It's ten years old and has it's issues, but it's not a rush to replace it just yet. Prices keep dropping and quality keeps getting better. With Circuit City closing, we might look for a deal there, but then Best Buy might match them, so it's anybodies guess what we'll do.

Currently, we like LG the best. Just looking at all the screens playing the same thing, the LG has the picture that we like the most.

My FIL has a Polaroid flat screen that be bought from Walmart that just died. From what he was told, it's a common problem that can be fixed with a $220 part. He's not happy.

I also like to read the reviews of stuff on Amazon.com Sometimes they have the best prices, but either way, it's nice to read what people like and dislike about what they buy. I wouldn't buy a TV online, because service if it broke would be a big factor in who I buy from. Again, Best Buy is probably where we will buy from.

Has anybody ever bought a TV and thought it was too big? Is that possible?

Eddie

/ Plasma / LCD TV. What size? #9  
I can add to what Nubota said above.

Due to the new widescreen format, TV's aren't as "tall or high" per inches as the use to be. I had a 35" tube TV which measured 21.5 from bottom to top. So, I used that as a basis to shop because I didn't want a smaller wider screen. I ended up buying a Panasonic 50" that measures 24.5" from bottom to top. I couldn't be happier. I got the Viera 720 plasma model and it has a beautiful picture. I've seen them for about $999 I think lately. $999 is pretty cheap if you think about what TV's cost 20 years ago for something comparable. We sit about 12-14 feet from it or closer.

If you are a "videophile", and are willing to pay the extra money for 1080p, I would only recommend it if you are also willing to pay about $30-35 per Blueray disc DVD. Otherwise, save your money until they get cheaper.

/ Plasma / LCD TV. What size? #10  
If you are a "videophile", and are willing to pay the extra money for 1080p, I would only recommend it if you are also willing to pay about $30-35 per Blueray disc DVD. Otherwise, save your money until they get cheaper.

I didn't know this before I bought mine, so I'll share it. The only 1080p source available right now is blu-ray. HD satellite and HD cable are 720p. I was told that a 720p signal put through a 1080p panel looks worse than if it were put through a 720p. My point being that unless your primary use is blu-ray watching, save some coin and get a 720p HDTV. Also, I was told that contrast ratio is an important factor, and I think the current standard is 1000000:1.

-Jer.