Plastic Vs Sheet metal

/ Plastic Vs Sheet metal #1  

RBCanada

First of all I really like the John Deere design, with that said a few people out there negatively comment on deere's use of plastic over steel. They say it fades quicker, are they wrong? Thanks RB. P.S, to all on this forum, thank you for all your comments they have been most helpful, In a few weeks I'll post my picks. Ron.

/ Plastic Vs Sheet metal #2  
RBCanada said:
First of all I really like the John Deere design, with that said a few people out there negatively comment on deere's use of plastic over steel. They say it fades quicker, are they wrong? Thanks RB. P.S, to all on this forum, thank you for all your comments they have been most helpful, In a few weeks I'll post my picks. Ron.
Ron,

My last two Deere's have had a mix of the two. My 425 had steel fenders and cowl and a plastic hood. After 10 years, the hood looked better than the cowl, which began to fade (I wax everything). My 2210 has a steel hood, but a plastic cowl. In 10 years we'll see which holds up better. I do think the plastic has better impact resistance (the metal would dent), but either way, I don't think it should sway a purchase --- it's what's underneath that counts!

/ Plastic Vs Sheet metal #3  
I'll take plastic any day. It looks great and shrugs off impacts that would crumple metal.

There are several 'plastics' being used by various manufactureres,, so be sure that what you are comparing is Deere's plastic. A red fiberglass will certainly fade faster than yellow or green metal.

/ Plastic Vs Sheet metal #4  
rockyridgefarm said:
I'll take plastic any day. It looks great and shrugs off impacts that would crumple metal.

I'm in total agreement with Mike on this. No JD tractor in my shed, but I've got a steel one and a plastic one. My Kubota's steel hood has a nice size dent in it and I have a $400 estimate to repair that dent. My New Holland's plastic hood has had several similar sized rocks and dirt clods hit it and they just bounce off the hood. Plastic is good stuff.

As for fading, I see my orange painted Kubota fading a heck of lot, but the blue is still bright.

/ Plastic Vs Sheet metal #5  
I got my tractor in 10/2000. Its never had a roof over it. It sits outside. At best it sits in the shade from trees. For the first year or so I kept a tarp over it.

If it is faded I can't tell.

I have dropped logs/trees on the hood/fender and they did not dent. Maybe some slight scratches. With metal it would be very noticable. You would have to look long and hard to see the smudges. The plastic on the engine panels is another story. My front grill is broken since it is a very hard plastic. Duct tape works. :) One day I'll get a good plastic glue and fix it...

I prefer the plastic over the metal.

Later,
Dan

/ Plastic Vs Sheet metal #6  
I prefer plastic. I had a box weighing about 2 pounds fall out of my loader while moving some items to my barn loft. It put 2 small dents in the hood which are in a position where they can't be taken out. Will require filling and paint which I won't do.

/ Plastic Vs Sheet metal #7  
It seems the word "plastic" is used to describe all things not metallic. While there is a great variety of steel, the variety of plastics is truly awesome. If you have a specific list of physical properties you need, there is a plastic for it. Stronger than steel? Sure, there is a composite for that. Lighter? Sure. Clear? Yep. Flexible, UV resistance, easy machined, dimensionally stable, yada yada. You can have one, some, or all of those things. Plastic allows you to fine tune the product to the application.
Steel? Well, it was invented just after the wheel.