Playing in the dirt

/ Playing in the dirt #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
More time this past weekend and I turned over the garden. I left a spot in the middle because some cover crop for deer was already comming up. I planted it at the end with some more.

First played with my home made subsoiler dilly. 3 or 5 would pull about the same depth. I could stop the tractor anytime in this loose soil by lowering it all the way. Then went over it with the disk.

Attachments

• plow (3).JPG
    plow (3).JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 395
  • plow (4).JPG
    plow (4).JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 330
  • plow (5).JPG
    plow (5).JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 311
  • plow (6).JPG
    plow (6).JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 322
   / Playing in the dirt
Then pulled out my new and improved harrow. Railroad spikes, head bolts, solid bar. Whatever I could find. It's just wider than the ATV which I like to pull it with because it's faster. It does do a nice job of smoothing out the ruts left by the disk.

Attachments

• harrow.JPG
    harrow.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 539
  • harrow (1).JPG
    harrow (1).JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 947
  • plow (2).JPG
    plow (2).JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 320
   / Playing in the dirt #3  
Rob,
That does look like fun. I love the smell of fresh dirt.
What are going to do next?
We were driving up to our property one day, soon after I got the tractor. We passed a construction site that had huge piles of dirt and I said "Gee, that looks like fun!". My wife knew it was too late right then.:)

/ Playing in the dirt #4  
That railroad spike grader did a fine job. The soil looks nice and loose. Wish mine looked like that. All I had this year was mud........

/ Playing in the dirt
3RRL said:
Rob,
That does look like fun. I love the smell of fresh dirt.
What are going to do next?
We were driving up to our property one day, soon after I got the tractor. We passed a construction site that had huge piles of dirt and I said "Gee, that looks like fun!". My wife knew it was too late right then.:)

Well we got a good rain shower Monday morning (a rare Monday day off). So only thing to do now is watch the rye grow and the cows break the fence to get in. :) Speaking of piles of dirt, one of my neighbors has a D6, just got a Kobelco trac hoe and a back hoe. He's semi retired and is going into the dirt business. Maybe I can get some time on the track hoe, lots of fun. Edwin is one of these guys that has been running this stuff for 50 years. He could icing a cake with one of these. He's been building roads and ponds, etc and if he says to do it...I don't ask any questions.

/ Playing in the dirt
johnk said:
That railroad spike grader did a fine job. The soil looks nice and loose. Wish mine looked like that. All I had this year was mud........

Well it looks good because it's a little wet. I've been trying to grow stuff in it for a couple years but it comes up then the rain stops. I'm going to have the soil tested this year to see if it needs anything. It grows weeds pretty well. :) Oh and wonderful potatos.