Please weigh in on a weighty issue.

/ Please weigh in on a weighty issue. #1  

Halftrack

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC33D, NH TZ18DA
I have a co-worker shopping for a used hydro 4X4 tractor loader in the 40 to 50 hp range. His major concern is that it be able to handle 1000 lb +/- bales of hay for feeding his livestock. I am not aware of dry hay, either round or square exceeding the 1 k limit, with most that I have scaled being roughly 900. Your experiences may differ. He is not leaning towards anything specific, red, orange, green, or blue, but I, of course, lean red,blue (CIH). Have seen a couple of TC 40/45s, DX40/45s available and am wondering if those members with experience with those models might weigh-in on bale handling capacity. Thanks from both of us for the input and replies.

/ Please weigh in on a weighty issue. #3  
My 41hp tractor is, in my experience, right on the edge of comfortably handling a 5x6 round bale. Not only around my property but out 'in the field', gathering. Mind you, I take it 'low and slow' with ample (at times :rolleyes:) ballast box counterweight. A 'new' 6x6 round can be handled too, I just take it extra cautiously. I have no experience with the large square bales that are being produced.

I cannot stack (with bale spikes), on edge (flat), higher than two bales. I have stacked, round side (in a pyramid), three high BUT the third one was a real slow evolution with plenty of 'pucker' and caution to ensure that the pyramid didn't come down on me as I backed away.

In other words, bigger is better.

/ Please weigh in on a weighty issue. #4  
Size matters ..............

/ Please weigh in on a weighty issue. #5  
The largest hydrostat offerings currently from manufactures are 4000# bare weight tractors and are right on the edge of comfortably handling round balers with a loader.

Frequency is my concern. If he is planning on 20-25 bale's a year...it's doable. Ssqa spear and not a bucket clamp on one. Gets the load closer. And plenty of ballast.

A tractor this size....moving the bale's on the rear with a spear would be preferred.

Look at the 4000-series Deere or Kubota MX.

But if he is handling bale's daily he is asking for trouble sooner rather than later. Consider the next size up for a tractor. Kubota M or deere 5000 series. Those don't come in a hydro though. Or consider smaller 4x5 bales

/ Please weigh in on a weighty issue. #6  
I can easily pick up a 5x6 with a proper ballast. My need is very occasional. I pick bale up with a 2 in 1 pallet fork that has bale spear that I can take off and put back on very easily. Like others say I do it nice and slow and during transport I keep the bale as low as I can. On road I can go a bit faster but on farm ground have to go slow to my liking. I think for everyday use my setup is not the most optimal. My land is relatively flat. My rig is a Kubota MX-4700 and with a ballast and pallet fork weighs under 5000.

IMG_20200725_105207.jpg

IMG_20200725_111309.jpg

IMG_20200725_101031.jpg

/ Please weigh in on a weighty issue. #7  
Consider the distances, height, reach etc. That will be required and base your choice on tractor handling a bale at full height. That would be the most critical point. Also consider the front axle loading and ensuing wear On the axle.

Just lifting is one thing. Placing and handling is quite another process.

/ Please weigh in on a weighty issue. #8  
I have no idea of the number of animals he will be feeding, how many bales he will be handling that would all make a difference.
And, then a major consideration is what type of feed lot is using, the ground, mud and manure conditions.
The weather conditions when feeding, is the ground frozen, thawed a combination. What can handle a bale on smooth hard ground
can become completely incapable of doing so with frozen hummocks of manure and mud with sloppy mud between frozen chunks.
Cows moving in a muddy lot will tend to follow each other creating trails in the ground that can easily be a feet below the surface.
A 30 hp utility can work on hard ground that in the winter will need an 80 hp with much taller tires, and a correspondingly heavier duty axle.
I wouldn't consider anything under 70HP for winter feeding.

/ Please weigh in on a weighty issue. #9  
Back when I had to move round bales I always put one on the back with 3pt spear then picked up one with the loader. The back one stayed on until last.

/ Please weigh in on a weighty issue. #10  
round-bale weight.jpg

The Toolcat with one 1100 pound bale, no counterweight:
P9030010.JPG

Or two:
P8240014.JPG

Last edited: