Plowing County Road??

/ Plowing County Road?? #61  
As the last house on my private road, I have been clearing it since I moved in 30+ years ago.
We now have two other homes served from the road & I get their driveways as I'm doing the road.
Both residents of the last house built (2 different owners) have offered to pay but were refused.
None of the 4 owners of the first house have offered.
Plowing gets done when the storm stops & it's daylight.
Maybe when it warms up. When I get to it.

/ Plowing County Road?? #62  
We're the last house on a 3/4 dead end tar/chip road. There are about 8 houses before it turns to a private 1/4 mile drive with another 5 houses. I plow the 1/4 mile every time we get over 3 inches of snow. On occasion I have plowed the 3/4 mile stretch after it blows shut between plowings. I never gave liability a thought, just how to get out when I need to. I did turn my flashers on when plowing though but for my own safety.

/ Plowing County Road?? #63  
I live in Whitman County, just South of Spokane. Our county has a population 47,000 of which half live in the City of Pullman. The county is responsible for 2000 miles of roads and 300 bridges to maintain and keep free of snow. It has a budget of $373,000 a year
Um, what? You guys pay less than $8 per person per year to maintain your roads? Thats ridiculous.

Pretty sure my property taxes include a few hundred dollars per year for our local roads. 8 bucks ain't gonna maintain jack ****

Edit: saw the correction, lol.

/ Plowing County Road??
Well, today was the big storm. I already had the day off work, which was a good thing. I spent 7 hours on the tractor blowing snow. I started with my driveway, with about 10 inches on the ground and snowing hard. The blower worked well, but slow. Range 2, gear 1. Not sure how fast, but slow enough I really wanted to go faster! About half way though doing my driveway, my phone rang. Neighbor called and asked if I was available to pull her out of the ditch on that steep hill. It has begun!!

I snow blowered my way to her, about half a mile down the county road. Took a while to get there. She almost made it up! Along the way, another neighbor came running out and asked if I could do his driveway. I responded with "Yep, on my way back. Might be a while." And it was.

I didn't go all the way to the hard ball road (and hindsight, probably should have.). Just to the bottom of the hill, just after it straightens, and levels out. Figured people could probably make it on the straight flat with no issues, its the curves and hills I'm worried about.

By the end of the day, I did 5 driveways and pulled 4 vehicles out of the ditch. Managed to get to that turn around just in time for people returning home from work, and they couldn't handle the deep snow.

My wife called me just as I was about to shutdown the tractor after finally finishing my driveway. She said that someone was blocking the gravel road just at the intersection to the hardball. They were stuck. She had to turn around and go the long way around on the loop. I did that blowing mostly for her! Knowing she would be coming home, with my two young sons in her SUV, I wanted that road cleared. In the end, she had to drive around my work. Maybe if I had gone all the way to the hardball, that truck wouldn't have gotten stuck. Oh well, she did get home safe and sound.

At last check, it's still snowing. We got about 15 inches so far. Love the snow!! I enjoyed every minute of the seat time. I provided a service to my community, got some hours on the meter, burned about 10 gallons of diesel, no breakdowns or plug ups, and feel like I have actually accomplished something. It was a great feeling watching neighbors come out on their porches and wave, take photos while I clear their driveways, and text me telling me that I'm a hero. I'm not a hero, just a guy who loves to drive his tractor. :)

/ Plowing County Road?? #65  
Well, today was the big storm. I already had the day off work, which was a good thing. I spent 7 hours on the tractor blowing snow. I started with my driveway, with about 10 inches on the ground and snowing hard. The blower worked well, but slow. Range 2, gear 1. Not sure how fast, but slow enough I really wanted to go faster! About half way though doing my driveway, my phone rang. Neighbor called and asked if I was available to pull her out of the ditch on that steep hill. It has begun!!

I snow blowered my way to her, about half a mile down the county road. Took a while to get there. She almost made it up! Along the way, another neighbor came running out and asked if I could do his driveway. I responded with "Yep, on my way back. Might be a while." And it was.

I didn't go all the way to the hard ball road (and hindsight, probably should have.). Just to the bottom of the hill, just after it straightens, and levels out. Figured people could probably make it on the straight flat with no issues, its the curves and hills I'm worried about.

By the end of the day, I did 5 driveways and pulled 4 vehicles out of the ditch. Managed to get to that turn around just in time for people returning home from work, and they couldn't handle the deep snow.

My wife called me just as I was about to shutdown the tractor after finally finishing my driveway. She said that someone was blocking the gravel road just at the intersection to the hardball. They were stuck. She had to turn around and go the long way around on the loop. I did that blowing mostly for her! Knowing she would be coming home, with my two young sons in her SUV, I wanted that road cleared. In the end, she had to drive around my work. Maybe if I had gone all the way to the hardball, that truck wouldn't have gotten stuck. Oh well, she did get home safe and sound.

At last check, it's still snowing. We got about 15 inches so far. Love the snow!! I enjoyed every minute of the seat time. I provided a service to my community, got some hours on the meter, burned about 10 gallons of diesel, no breakdowns or plug ups, and feel like I have actually accomplished something. It was a great feeling watching neighbors come out on their porches and wave, take photos while I clear their driveways, and text me telling me that I'm a hero. I'm not a hero, just a guy who loves to drive his tractor. :)
Great story!!!

/ Plowing County Road?? #66  

Was this all on your dime? Was it all neighbors that you pulled out?

/ Plowing County Road?? #67  
Just wondering where the human compassion has gone. The man helps his neighbors and maybe some strangers. He is doing the right thing maybe not for money nor notoriety. It was simply the right thing to do and the best part of it is he enjoyed doing it.

So I’ll say thank you for being a good neighbor and a good human being, and helping your neighbors.

/ Plowing County Road??
Was this all on your dime? Was it all neighbors that you pulled out?
Yes. It was all on my dime. People offered to pay me something, but I of course refused. "Just help the next guy." was all I responded with. I didn't do it for the money.

3 of the 4 people I pulled out of the ditch were neighbors, and they called me. The other guy, in a Jeep SUV I watched go into the ditch up ahead of me.

/ Plowing County Road?? #69  
Just wondering where the human compassion has gone. The man helps his neighbors and maybe some strangers. He is doing the right thing maybe not for money nor notoriety. It was simply the right thing to do and the best part of it is he enjoyed doing it.

So I’ll say thank you for being a good neighbor and a good human being, and helping your neighbors.
I'm not saying he did the wrong thing. I've done the same and have never charged anyone. I will say I hope the neighbors repay him in some way in the future besides a wave out the front door. He did burn over 50$ in diesel and 7 hours tractor time. Even back in the 70's when I was pulled out of a ditch the farmers expected some compensation on more than one occasion.

/ Plowing County Road?? #70  
I am sure glad you guys keep all that snow fun to yourselves! I have lived in the same house for 20+ yrs and have only pulled 3 vehicles out of the ditch near my house! Didn't charge any of them...
David from jax