Plowing: Setting the skid shoe height

/ Plowing: Setting the skid shoe height #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
I just got a V-plow for my XUV. What is your preference for skid shoe height when plowing on dirt/gravel?

After I was done with my first plowing (which was just 4 inches of light powder, but still a lot of fun), I noticed that the skid shoes were sitting about 1/8 inch off the floor when the plow is lowered down to the garage floor. I thought for gravel that maybe the plow should be sitting a 1/4 inch off the floor, with the weight on the shoes. What do you think?

/ Plowing: Setting the skid shoe height #2  
I set my tractor mounted Fisher Truck plow right at blade height. I have 800 ft of gravel drive but a hundred of concrete. The trick is to plow the gravel first after a rain to eliminate the local high spots. When it snows and freezes, don't go out there righ away to plow the gravel. Wait until you've driven on it a few times to build up a packed ice trail. Then the skids will ride on the ice, the snow will be pushed aside, and the gravel will stay on the driveway. Otherwise, the gravel that's skimmed off will wind up on the edge, grass, culvert, etc. Wait for a good freeze first is my suggestion.

/ Plowing: Setting the skid shoe height #3  
FatTire said:
I just got a V-plow for my XUV. What is your preference for skid shoe height when plowing on dirt/gravel?

After I was done with my first plowing (which was just 4 inches of light powder, but still a lot of fun), I noticed that the skid shoes were sitting about 1/8 inch off the floor when the plow is lowered down to the garage floor. I thought for gravel that maybe the plow should be sitting a 1/4 inch off the floor, with the weight on the shoes. What do you think?
I was wondering how you like the v plow, will it still angle with it in the straight position? I like the angle blade by JD but the v plow looks more versitile. Could you post a pic of it in the angle position? Thanks in advance.
MM

/ Plowing: Setting the skid shoe height
Each side of the V-plow angles to +/- 22 degrees, which is the same angle the regular straight plow uses. So you can set it up as v-plow, or as a straight plow that can be angled to either side (or straight across), or you can put both sides forward as a "scoop" which could be handy for moving around some gravel, etc.

The disadvantage to the v-plow is that when the blade is set straight, there is a bump in the middle. This could make it harder for snow to move across the plow when it is angled back. Not sure if it is significant or not.

When the dealer installed the plow last week they put the pivot bracket (where the hydraulic cylinder mounts to the plow frame) on backwards, resulting in a max plow lift height of about 3 inches. They said that's all you get for lift height. Couldn't even go over a little bump without the plow hitting. I knew something was screwed up and then discovered the error a couple of evenings ago, but have not put the plow back on to see how it works with the bracket mounted properly. Looks like I should get about 4 more inches of lift.

I will take some photos of the v-plow later this week and post 'em.

Dave

/ Plowing: Setting the skid shoe height #5  
I plow my 2.5 mile ( no that's not a type o ) driveway which is dirt/gravel with my 72" Cycle Country plow I have on my Rhino.
The first snowfall of the year is pretty tricky but once you get a good solid base of packed snow it works great. I found that I can plow the best with no feet on the plow at all. As long as there is a good frozen base.
takes me about 20-25 minutes to go all the way down the mountain and back which is 144" wide give or take. that is plenty wide enough for any vehicle.

But, there is a limit to what the Rhino can plow. Usually anything 2 feet and below I can easily plow with the rhino, if I get to it while it is still powdery. If it is more than that I usually break out the backhoe or the 3pt. hitch Ber-Vac blower.