Plowing tall grass

/ Plowing tall grass #22  
I was in Illinois and saw an old implement that drug on one side of the plow to lay the thick grass over and the direction of travel so the coulters worked better. Kept the plow from plugging up

/ Plowing tall grass
I would imagine shipping to the island would be pretty high, but if you got one, could you hire out to make some of your money back?
Nah. Not now. Farming more prominent 40 years ago than now. Land is rough also generally so to clear land they’re more likely to use escavator with mulched head. As for plowing. I think people here just plow anyway. As long as they loosen it enough to till over it later on. ( 3 pt tillers being more recent). Also most fields , when farming was here more, we’re used for hay. That said, more ppl are starting to have tiny gardens and greenhouses than before.

/ Plowing tall grass #24  
The grass is relatively tall. I don’t have a mower. How will this fair out if I take a plow to it. It use to be a hay field
If you try to plow tall grass you will need a lot of HP and you'll end up with a mess and you'll wish you'd mowed it first.

/ Plowing tall grass
Yeah
If you try to plow tall grass you will need a lot of HP and you'll end up with a mess and you'll wish you'd mowed it first.
yes everyone is saying. I might have to burn it or do it when the grass falls over. That could even mean spring

/ Plowing tall grass #27  
You fellows in ns plow this early or later in fall egon? Getting many ticks your way?

If you have good coulters (big and sharp) you might get lucky after the grass has died and laid somewhat flat.

You can plow right up until the ground freezes. You'll need to disc in spring. I prefer fall plowing to spring plowing, works for me when reseeding hay land.

I'd mow it first :)

/ Plowing tall grass #28  
With a good plow, it can be plowed as-is. The plow existed before any mower. Sure, if it were mowed it would plow easier and turn better. I have seen Amish here plow tall hay fields as-is with a sharp coulter and a deep cut. Small plow might not work so good.

I'd be with the guy who said 'give it a try and see what happens.' I'd want to know what my setup could or could not do......

/ Plowing tall grass #29  
With a good plow, it can be plowed as-is. The plow existed before any mower. Sure, if it were mowed it would plow easier and turn better. I have seen Amish here plow tall hay fields as-is with a sharp coulter and a deep cut. Small plow might not work so good.

I'd be with the guy who said 'give it a try and see what happens.' I'd want to know what my setup could or could not do......
I tend to agree IF the plow is well scoured and set up correctly.

/ Plowing tall grass #30  
Burn it. It's wide open so no real hazard. All you need is a fire break. If all I had was a plow, I'd section it off in a couple squares with 10 foot plowed edges for a fire break to keep it under control.
This reads like the best solution if you can burn it properly without danger.
Then plow the rest after it's short burned grass.