plows

/ plows #11  
JerryG said:
Dave,
You will have to hit farm auctions until you find a good plow. I bought a MF model 66, 3-14" at a farm auction for $135. It was like new. Didn't look like it had been in the ground. I couldn't believe that I got that good of a plow for that price.

You just HAVE to keep bringing that up, don't you! ;)

Bill, who paid MUCH MUCH more for his plow.

/ plows #12  
Bill, that is a beautifully done 150. A neighbor farm (when I was growing up) had an MF 180. And I loved that tractor. Those Perkins always sounded so smooth to me. We were always more IH at the time, but we did have that Ford 860 too.

Jerry, you sure got a deal on that plow!

I'll keep looking around (including auctions) and hopefully sooner or later I'll find something that is worthwhile. But I doubt I'll find anything real nice for $135 though.

Dave

/ plows #13  
Farmwithjunk said:
If propely ballasted, and mfwd traction is included in the mix, 45 hp MIGHT pull a 3-bottom plow in sandy/loamy soils. Some consideration must be given to WHICH plow (brand)

I don't have wide experience with tractors, plows or soils but this is what I've actually experienced. Tractor Kioti DK45, has draft control 45 hp engine , AG tread, 4wd engaged, filled rears, FEL mounted, approximate field weight 3 tons. Plows ford 3x14 with shear bolts and a Ferguson 2x16 solid beam both plows have full sets of coulters. Plows set to cut level at half bottom width with tire in furrow. Soils Virginia: heavy rock free red clay, red-yellow clay mixture with many small flinty stones (marble to bread loaf size), New York: sandy loam with moderate concentration of glacier deposited stones (softball to bathtub sized).

Tractor has no problem pulling either plow in mid range through Virginia clay. I've only used the shear bolt protected 3x14 in New York and the tractor can pull the plow in high first gear up there. In all three soil types I've worked areas reclaimed from scrub growth that could not have been farmed for at least 50 years if it had ever been. I believe the machine will handle a 3x16 and I'm keeping my eyes open for one to find out.

/ plows #14  
Farmwithjunk said:
You just HAVE to keep bringing that up, don't you! ;)

Bill, who paid MUCH MUCH more for his plow.
Ha, I'm one of those people that go and go to auctions and never buy anything because of the prices that things get run up to. When I do get a deal, it is usually a good deal.:D

/ plows #15  
JerryG said:
Dave,
You will have to hit farm auctions until you find a good plow. I bought a MF model 66, 3-14" at a farm auction for $135. It was like new. Didn't look like it had been in the ground. I couldn't believe that I got that good of a plow for that price.

I'll take it off your hands for twice that. No questions asked, won't even need to see it!:D You can't beat a 100% profit can you?;)

/ plows #16  
I came into a 3x14 ford 101 with worn out shins. My soil ranged from clay to loam with some sand. The field had been farmed three years prior in corn. I hooked up that plow rust and all squirted grease in the coulters and went to town. I tried the best I could to set up the plow with right hand wheels up on blocks. I am not sure it was perfect setup but away I went. I had to be carefull when I got to the loamy stuff because it would try to dig to China. I think I pulled it in 2H out of 4 gears. I had brush hogged the field first then went at it with the plow. I am sure it was not as good as some of the "professionals" here could have done but not bad for my first time. Now what did I do that with, a 27hp FarmTrac with loaded bar tires. I get the feeling from everything I have read on here that I am the exception, being able to pull that much plow with so few horses. But I thought you said the field was already ripped up you just want to turn it over. From my extremely limited experience I would have thought you could pull at least a three bottom.