Pocket Gopher Control

/ Pocket Gopher Control #1  

LindenBruce

Gold Member
Tractor
Husky GT2654, Branson 4520TLB
Hello All,

Ok, I am hell bent on getting this gopher. I have tried flooding it out three times. I tried a 15min. road flare. Nothing. It is still there tearing up a section of my hill. I can't use baits or poison because of my pets. I can't seem to find the gopher gassers locally. Stores are telling me they have not been able to get those in months. I'm going to try a trap next. But I am pulling my hair out over this one. It is being very sly. Any ideas? Would the exhaust from my gas riding mower work? How about from my newer diesel tractor? Thanks, B.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #3  
The best thing I have found is cinch traps. Set them in fresh burrows and check twice a day. You need more than one. I've set 5 or 6 at times to get one gopher but usually it's 2 or 3. It depends on how many burrows are active. Watch your fingers when setting the traps, the spring is strong. I've set them hundreds of times and only got 'bit' once so far. I use a sturdy trowel to dig out the mounds (or runs if I can find them) to get the trap in. I use a steel rod to probe for runs and to find where in the mound the run starts when it's plugged.

The best price I found is here: Cinch Mole Trap

/ Pocket Gopher Control #4  
1634952151256.png

/ Pocket Gopher Control #5  
When I go "gopher hunting" I'll select a mound. I'll start probing the mound with a rod. It will stop after passing through the loose dirt until I find the passage entrance. It penetrates easily there. Leaving the rod as a place marker I'll dig around it but very close to it. In this way I'll find the access hole. Digging or feeling around a bit and looking carefully I will find two or more side tunnels connected to the hole. I place a set trap into each tunnel after attaching a piece of stout cord to ensure I can find the trap later. After placing the traps I cover the hole so it stays dark. Plywood or even a bucket will do. If the gopher sees light as he (or she) approaches that part of the tunnel he (or she) will plug that part of the tunnel with dirt and not fall for the trap.
I use the Macabee gopher traps: Macabee "The Original" Gopher Trap, Set of 2 - Walmart.com

/ Pocket Gopher Control #7  
Bait works best for me but hard to find….

Traps work but more work

Also have the concussion trap that used a blank… so here a little pop when activated…

I caught a few with water one day but the kids set the two free…

Of course the dogs would take care but the mounds are worse.

An old time mechanic told me exhaust is to clean to be effective now so my Model A Ford might work?

/ Pocket Gopher Control #8  
I live way out in the country - I have LOTS of pocket gophers. Some years I have trapped as many as 40. It helps for a year or two. Then they are all back. When it gets really bad - I trap. I use the spring loaded double wire jaw traps.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #9  
Bait works best for me but hard to find….

Traps work but more work

Also have the concussion trap that used a blank… so here a little pop when activated…

I caught a few with water one day but the kids set the two free…

Of course the dogs would take care but the mounds are worse.

An old time mechanic told me exhaust is to clean to be effective now so my Model A Ford might work?
years ago i read about a guy who tried to commit suicide by going to sleep in his car in the garage while the car was running.

they found him sleeping, car out of gas, air in garage cleaner than outside SoCal air.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #10  
Exhaust from a gasoline engine should work. It cured a rat problem I had.

Diesel exhaust may not work As it probably does not have the carbon monoxide. .?? Can’t verify this last comment.