Pole Barn Site Prep and Back Fill

/ Pole Barn Site Prep and Back Fill #1  

LukeDuke30

Bronze Member
Tractor
2016 Massey 1734e
Interesting times we are in - I can't get anyone to come out and strip sod for a short driveway extension and for the pole barn I am having built, and then back fill once barn is up. Nobody is interested in a small job I guess? So, I guess I will hop on my Massey 1734 and do it myself. With that being said, this will be my first endeavor doing so. I have the location marked for the barn. so I will most likely go another 6-8 feet larger than the barn footprint. The builder will be measuring off the highest corner, and setting the barn level from that point. I have about 8 1/2'' of drop from the highest side to the lowest point. Once the barn is complete I will need to order gravel, and back fill myself in preparation for concrete.

Any tips or recommendations for removing the layer of sod?

Any tips for back filling the inside before concrete?

Thanks!

/ Pole Barn Site Prep and Back Fill #2  
The best way is to get the barn footprint marked, and get all your fill placed and leveled prior to building. Get that nice pad in place and the build process will be easier too. Afterwards you can tweak the inside with a little fill to get the final grade prior to concrete.

/ Pole Barn Site Prep and Back Fill
I'd love to do it that way, but I can't get anyone who wants to come out and build a pad. At least not yet. I have a few other calls out to some other contractors, but nobody has confirmed yet. That is why I may have to have the barn built on the stripped area, then back fill because the barn itself will be built level over the ground.

/ Pole Barn Site Prep and Back Fill #4  
If u have a backhoe u can easily (relatively easily) strip the sod with it. Otherwise rent a skid steer. If u rent the skid steer I would take the high corner down to level thus reducing the need for back filling. Unless of course this would cause a drainage issue.

/ Pole Barn Site Prep and Back Fill #5  
Your barn builder must have someone they use. This is an exercise in futility. Prep the site, then build the building. Let your barn contractor know he won’t be putting a barn on a non prepped site......your site will get prepped.... like magic!

If you want the project then I’d go rent a mini ex and then a skip and drag. Import plenty of material and set grade with a laser (also a rental item).

The 6 Ps would apply-

Proper
Planning/prep
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance

/ Pole Barn Site Prep and Back Fill #6  
What is the pole barn for? I ask because if it's just to store equipment in, does it need to be level? I built a pole barn that had 2' of drop from one corner to the opposite corner, but it was just for equipment. The barn was level just the ground was not. This is what mine looked like. 57X72X12

20170429_120110.jpg
20170429_105738.jpg

Last edited:
   / Pole Barn Site Prep and Back Fill
It will be used for equipment storage, but will be fully insulated and concrete will be installed shortly. They will build the barn level but of course it will have a larger gap on the low end which is what I will have to back fill if I don't have a pad built first. Nice barn BTW!

/ Pole Barn Site Prep and Back Fill #8  
Be sure to post up pics of the project (pad and structure) along the way!

/ Pole Barn Site Prep and Back Fill #9  
It will be used for equipment storage, but will be fully insulated and concrete will be installed shortly. They will build the barn level but of course it will have a larger gap on the low end which is what I will have to back fill if I don't have a pad built first. Nice barn BTW!

Thanks,

It would have been a little more difficult for me to fully concrete mine with the elevation drop I had. But for you with only 8" difference you could base your elevation on the highest point, build it then level out for concrete after it's built.
Don't get me wrong, I think starting out level is best but you "do what you gotta do." :thumbsup:

You did not say what size the barn will be.

/ Pole Barn Site Prep and Back Fill #10  
You need to find another builder. It is his responsibility to have the dirt work done correctly. If you do it, and you do a poor job, how could he build a quality building?