Pole building into hillside??

/ Pole building into hillside?? #1  

Woody65

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST 4wd
I am looking into building a 30x50 pole barn into a hillside. I am trying to stay away from a poured or block foundation. The side that will meet the hillside will cover about 8' of the back wall with soil. I was thinking about constructing a conventional pole barn with the rear wall having posts at 4' on center instead of 8' on center. Installing 2x4purlins, 3/4" marine plywood and cover it with a waterproof roofing membrane sheets. I would then backfill the excavated hillside against the rear wall of the building. I would install a drain around the bottom of the wall to divert the water from entering the building. I plan on siding the building with board and batten wood siding and would keep the bottom edge above the ground all the way around the building. I am in the construction trade and have built many homes, extensions etc. But in a suburb of NYC where everything is built on poured or block foundation on level ground. I have built 1pole barn but that was on level ground. I dont have much experience in rural pole construction and wanted to pick your brains. Do you guys see any problems/issues with the above idea? Possibly too much pressure against the rear wall? Any suggestions or prior experience with this type on project is appreciated.

I did a real quick sketch of what I am proposing to do. Don't rag me too hard, didn't have time to get out the drafting supplies

image-2502446724.jpg

/ Pole building into hillside?? #2  
I used to build pole buildings many years ago. The few that I did that required going to hill and getting back filled against the building we went with poles 4' OC, then used treated tongue and groove 2X6 or 2X8 with but joint staggered on the poles. This was covered by minimum 6mil poly or other water proof membrane, and drain tile installed at floor level and possibly another tile higher up if we felt the extra run off was needed.
Normally used 6X6 poles, but if dirt height was 1/2 of wall height or more, we went with 6X8 poles on that wall.

/ Pole building into hillside??
SS, that sounds pretty much what I envisioned except for the 2x t&g instead of plywood. I was contemplating using dimensional lumber but wasn't sure if it was necessary. I will figure on using 2x t&g for the surface that contacts the ground. Thanks

/ Pole building into hillside?? #4  
Woody,

A friend of mine built a 3000 sq.ft. house on a treated wood foundation. Still standing 15 years later, waterproof too. The trick is get a good membrane and have adequate drainage. You may want to Google wooden foundations. Good luck.

/ Pole building into hillside?? #6  
I have two buildings built into hillsides . I wish I had none. In Ohio I get humidity on the walls. The buildings turn into rust chambers. Stuff fairs better sitting outsde rather then insde these buildings. If you had fans or a dehumidifier running 24/7 it might be okay. Hot air and cooler walls just does not make for a good building.

2458n said:
I have two buildings built into hillsides . I wish I had none. In Ohio I get humidity on the walls. The buildings turn into rust chambers. Stuff fairs better sitting outsde rather then insde these buildings. If you had fans or a dehumidifier running 24/7 it might be okay. Hot air and cooler walls just does not make for a good building.

Interesting. Are your buildings heated... Insulated... Vented. I don't plan on having any heat. I do plan on using the bubble wrap for the roof. And it will have plenty of ventilation.

srs said:
Woody, any particular reason why you are trying to stay away from a poured or block foundation?

Mainly cost. But also, I would like to get it in before hunting season starts in October. Having to do the additional excavating, forms if poured, and time to have a block foundation would push it back. And I can do all the work if no concrete is needed. Otherwise I will have to contract out that part and wait on their schedule.

/ Pole building into hillside?? #10  
Mainly cost. But also, I would like to get it in before hunting season starts in October. Having to do the additional excavating, forms if poured, and time to have a block foundation would push it back. And I can do all the work if no concrete is needed. Otherwise I will have to contract out that part and wait on their schedule.

Sounds good. Also for a few dollars more maybe you could add some of the rigid insulation panels (Stryrofoam) between the fill and the wall of the pole building.