Snow Attachments Polyurethane cutting edge

/ Polyurethane cutting edge #1  

RjCorazza

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060 Cab, ZD1211, ZD326
This season I'm going to try a polyurethane cutting edge on my 7' rear blade. I mounted a 1.5" x 6 x 84 edge made of 90d material, which is supposed to be ideal for snow plow use.
My question is what is the best way to wear-in the edge so I'm not plowing with the back corner on the ground and the leading edge corner up in the air?
My gut tells me to push the blade backwards on dry (or wet?) pavement until the correct angle is achieved. Anyone done this? Don't want to mess up this edge.

Last edited:
   / Polyurethane cutting edge #2  
The edge itself shouldn't pose a problem with being too stiff, once you start placing force against it. The float height of your steel above the ground is what you need to get right; that will determine how much flex/compression your poly blade encounters. If you flex it under too much, you risk wearing the middle (horizontally) and not the actual lower edge.

/ Polyurethane cutting edge #3  
Do you have a table saw? On our UTV, I ripped a 45 degree edge angle, and then let the narrow tip slowly wear down to whatever angle it is going to be.

/ Polyurethane cutting edge #4  
Do you have a table saw? On our UTV, I ripped a 45 degree edge angle, and then let the narrow tip slowly wear down to whatever angle it is going to be.
great idea thanks

/ Polyurethane cutting edge
Uhmm... I'll measure the angle and look around for a table saw. I have a regular circular saw that makes angled cuts, but I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability to make a good cut.

/ Polyurethane cutting edge #6  
I don't think this is brain surgery. Just drop the rear blade on the pavement and set whatever angle you want with the top link. Dragging the blade over the asphalt will establish the correct cutting edge.

/ Polyurethane cutting edge #7  
oosik, you are right, but it takes a while to wear down the 1.5" poly. And some people don't have any pavement.

/ Polyurethane cutting edge
Started out with wet pavement and there was no wearing in after about 300' . Dry pavement took about 800 yards forward and the same backwards. Once the corner began wearing down best results were by going fast enough to get the poly warm, wearing it down faster.
Were I to do it again I would go the table saw route to save about 2 hours of trouble. Plus my neighbors likely think I've lost it.

/ Polyurethane cutting edge #9  
I have a pipe bolted onto my cutting edge and it pushes snow just fine. I don't think the angle will hinder snow removal as it wears in.
Jim

/ Polyurethane cutting edge #10  
I have a pipe bolted onto my cutting edge and it pushes snow just fine. I don't think the angle will hinder snow removal as it wears in.
Jim

Did you mount it on an angle of 180 degrees?