Polyurethane skid shoe

/ Polyurethane skid shoe #1  

JD 4520

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520
I had standard steel skid shoes for my Frontier Front Blade that I use for snow plowing. I plow mostly over finished concrete or asphalt and don't want to scare either. So I took my steel skid shoes and coated them with polyurethane. See Picture attached.

I found a small bucket to use as a mold. I have approx 1.5" on the bottom, 1/2" around the sides and an inch on the top of the shoe itself. Doing it myself cost about 1/3 of the cost to have it done professionally if you can find anyone to do a small one off job.

I decided this was better than a wheel or the steel shoe. It should last several years. I will be trying out next week after it fully cures.

Attachments

• image-1688250885.png
    image-1688250885.png
    454.3 KB · Views: 1,013
   / Polyurethane skid shoe #2  
Fallline is a big company for polyurethane coating, and will do just about anything, But looks very good job well done

/ Polyurethane skid shoe
catdozer said:
Fallline is a big company for polyurethane coating, and will do just about anything, But looks very good job well done

Yes you're correct they (Falline) will do it and after I looked at that option I decided to do it myself for 1/3rd the cost or less. It was easy to do. Main thing was figuring out a mold and with a little thought I came up with an easy solution.

/ Polyurethane skid shoe #4  
Nice job Gary.

Beings you used a small bucket, I take the lower edge is somewhat rounded off ?

/ Polyurethane skid shoe
Willl said:
Nice job Gary.

Beings you used a small bucket, I take the lower edge is somewhat rounded off ?

Not exactly but not sure that it mattered as I used a liquid PVA release spray that kept it from sticking to the mold.

/ Polyurethane skid shoe #6  
We had a cutting edge done and couldn't do it ourselves so it was cheaper for them to do it, may have to use your idea for shoes though!

/ Polyurethane skid shoe
catdozer said:
We had a cutting edge done and couldn't do it ourselves so it was cheaper for them to do it, may have to use your idea for shoes though!

For a cutting edge, I took a barn mat and cut a six inch piece and bolted it to the steel cutting blade. It hangs below the steel blade by more than an inch. I also used a 1/8th inch steel plate over top it to maintain the strength of the rubber edge. If interested, I could attach a picture.

/ Polyurethane skid shoe #8  
JD 4520 said:
For a cutting edge, I took a barn mat and cut a six inch piece and bolted it to the steel cutting blade. It hangs below the steel blade by more than an inch. I also used a 1/8th inch steel plate over top it to maintain the strength of the rubber edge. If interested, I could attach a picture.

You use a rubber edge then? Hmmm your making me wonder. if you could attach a picture. We had it done for a skidloader bucket edge to protect a color topped sidewalk

/ Polyurethane skid shoe #9  
I uses a heavy plastic cutting board cut to size for skid shoes on a walk behind snow blower.
I stacked 2 pieces and just counter sunk the bolt holes as far as I could and it worked fine then radiused the edges by heating them up and bending them to match the steel shoe.
This was to keep from scratching the fancy dancy brick side walk our company put in to our lobby entrance:laughing:

/ Polyurethane skid shoe
Here are a couple of pictures of the front blade rubber edge that I made from a barn mat. Behind the rubber blade is the steel blade that doesn't show up. I left that on and extended the rubber about 1.5" below the steel. The steel gives it support. Then on top of the rubber is 1/8" steel to hold the rubber to the back plate.

If you want more information on anything let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_4248.JPG
    IMG_4248.JPG
    874.6 KB · Views: 952
  • IMG_4249.JPG
    IMG_4249.JPG
    980.3 KB · Views: 662