Pond dam maintenance questions

/ Pond dam maintenance questions #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I have 3 ponds and 1 of them has a really steep bank that has to be hand maintained. Does anyone have ideas to what I could plant that has the following attributes?
- keeps trees from sprouting and growing
-requires little mowing
-has small root system to protect from penetrating dam.

Thanks

/ Pond dam maintenance questions #2  
I’d go for a grass that does well in your area. Then if trees sprout a bread leaf herbicide would kill the trees but not the grass.

At least you are only dealing with a sprayer.........

/ Pond dam maintenance questions #3  
In my area it would be bunch grass. I can obtain the seed from a couple local commercial seed companies. It's a low growing, very hardy grass that will reseed itself every year. Really doesn't need to be mowed. Seldom reaches a height of a foot.

As far as trees - routine patrol of the dam areas and hand pulling any/all sprouts. I can think of no other method.

/ Pond dam maintenance questions #4  
I have seen a couple of steep dams that were planted with blackberries. They covered the backside of the dam, and provided a great source of jams, jellies and cobbler...and you never have to water them!

/ Pond dam maintenance questions #5  
Does Zoisa grass grow there? It's super slow growing, but once established, its rarely needs to be cut and it's great for errosion. The biggest drawback to it for lawns is that it turns brown as soon as the temps start to cool down.

I would be hesitant to put anything else there. Maybe spread out some plastic and cover it with gravel. If the gravel goes into the water, the fish will use it to spawn.

/ Pond dam maintenance questions #6  
I have 3 ponds and 1 of them has a really steep bank that has to be hand maintained. Does anyone have ideas to what I could plant that has the following attributes?
- keeps trees from sprouting and growing
-requires little mowing
-has small root system to protect from penetrating dam.

Thanks

alfalfa clover and vetch

/ Pond dam maintenance questions #7  
I've had good luck with hard fescue. There are different varieties but in general it is a slow growing grass that does well in poor soils and minimum maintenance. It does not require mowing. Although it is a "clumping" grass, if you seed it uniformly, it doesn't have a clump appearance.