Pond question

/ Pond question
Guy called back and said he spoke to the kk chemical rep. Rep said that was extremely uncommon and that he felt the pond was way over stocked with bluegill or the fish were at a certain point in the bedding process that they wouldn’t leave the beds after all the chemical was applied.

This is what I think may have happened. Service provided used correct amount of chemical for pond size but chemical was applied primary around the shoreline where the duckweed was concentrated vs spreading it out evenly across entire pond. Considering bluegills on bed at shoreline with high concentration of chemicals and duckweed I think maybe been what caused issue. We’re trying to determine now if any bluegills made it or if we need to restock. I’m done with chemicals now though.

/ Pond question #12  
I am no expert on pond management. We live on a shared 2.5 acre pond. My neighbor who is retired takes care of it and I pay him for my share. Every few years we get some type of vice like stuff that grows in the shallow areas. I do not remember the name of it.
When he sprays, he does a section at time. He said if you do the whole pond at one time it removes too much oxygen. I have no idea if he is right but we have never had a fish kill.

/ Pond question
You must have a good strong stream or river flowing into that pond. Anything over 12 to 15 feet wont hold oxygen below those depths unless you do or have a aeration system.

/ Pond question #15  
My pond is ten acres. Five of open water - five of cattails. It's 80 feet deep - 45 feet deep where the water contacts the basaltic lava side walls. I have dissolved oxygen to a depth of about 65 feet. Below 65 feet it very quickly approaches zero. It's fed by very large springs on the near end. It's had most every type of trout and two species of salmon in it over the years. Now it's bass because they will spawn in a closed lake environment. In the late summer, surface water temps will reach 62F - 56F or lower at the thermocline. Picture of my lake, taken off my front porch.
IMG_0040.jpeg

/ Pond question #16  
What was the name of the chemical used as I am curious?

I have a ~0.85 acre pond.....bout 8' deep. Its a 70 year old farm pond. Has always had issues with pond "weeds". Never an algae problem. The pond as always had grass carp. As a kid I remember seeing them and they must have been 4' long.

Fast forward to now, I have owned this place for 6 years (I grew up next door and always fished this pond as a kid). I re-stocked with a dozen 10" grass carp. In two years they were 2' long but still a weed problem every year.

I pulled some weeds to identify....had 3 kinds. Coontail, water milfoil, and cury-leaf pond weed.

I made some calls and the consensus was that of the 3.....the carp would only control the curly leaf pond weed. So I switched my method to chemical. I use diquat. Alligare Diquat Aquatic Herbicide | Solutions Pest & Lawn

I mix half the gallon in my 4-gallon backpack sprayer and walk around spraying about half the pond. Wait two weeks then do the other half the gallon. In two years.....no fish kills and now weeds. So I can actually fish it with spinners and topwaters not without constantly being in the weeds. Because the weeds would cover about 85% of the surface.

/ Pond question #17  
This was my pond.
pond.jpeg

These were the weeds pulled. Top is coontail, middle is water milfoil, bottom is curly-leaf pond weed (by my amature diagnosis)
weed.jpeg

And these are a few of the dozen carp after just a few years. They are even bigger now.
fish.jpeg

/ Pond question #18  
LD1 - have you ever thought of getting Grass Carp. The Fish & Game Dept tried them in a large lake about 25 miles south of me. They were seeing the same condition as you have in your pond. In a matter of four/five years these buggers grew to 5# to 8# and had TOTALLY cleaned out all the water weeds.

This is a really long & deep lake. Left over from the Lake Missoula floods - thousands of years ago. Rock Lake - seven miles long - - 375 feet deep.

I could get them here but pretty certain they would eliminate the five acres of cattails down at the far end of my lake. I really like my cattails and the pond weeds aren't really that bad. My lake gets too deep too fast for a whole lot of pond weeds.

/ Pond question #19  
LD1 - have you ever thought of getting Grass Carp. The Fish & Game Dept tried them in a large lake about 25 miles south of me. They were seeing the same condition as you have in your pond. In a matter of four/five years these buggers grew to 5# to 8# and had TOTALLY cleaned out all the water weeds.

This is a really long & deep lake. Left over from the Lake Missoula floods - thousands of years ago. Rock Lake - seven miles long - - 375 feet deep.

I could get them here but pretty certain they would eliminate the five acres of cattails down at the far end of my lake. I really like my cattails and the pond weeds aren't really that bad. My lake gets too deep too fast for a whole lot of pond weeds.
?????

/ Pond question #20  
OOps - missed #16.