Pondering swapping out my AG for a TLB

/ Pondering swapping out my AG for a TLB #1  

m5400

Tractor
Kubota M5400 2WD ROPS
Howdy -

I've got a mid-90s Kubota M5400 with a TYM FEL and I'm pondering swapping it out and trying to find a 7-8K# TLB. Maybe a JD 110 TLB or a Kubota L45/L47/M62.

I could use a stout loader and a backhoe more than I have a need for a bushhog / plowing machine. I understand that some of the TLBs can drop the backhoe and use 3PH components and approximate an AG style tractor. That would let me get a land leveler or box blade or carryall and have a sturdy loader. I'd probably get a grapple too.

I'd love to hear folks' thoughts.

Cheers,
Nate

/ Pondering swapping out my AG for a TLB #2  
Is your M5400 in decent shape? Pre emissions and no electronics are something worth keeping if its doing pretty good for you.

If you don't have to trailer it around, consider getting a used full sized backhoe and keeping your tractor. Even though costs of most stuff is still through the roof, full sized backhoes are a bargain for what you get. People want mini excavators who are in the trades for digging so full sized backhoes are plentiful on the used market.

A full sized 4wd 75 to 90 hp backhoe with a 4 in 1 bucket and extend a hoe with thumb is pretty dang versatile as a farm machine.

Last edited:
   / Pondering swapping out my AG for a TLB #3  
Advice? If you do trade, get a 4WD.

/ Pondering swapping out my AG for a TLB #4  
Howdy -

I've got a mid-90s Kubota M5400 with a TYM FEL and I'm pondering swapping it out and trying to find a 7-8K# TLB. Maybe a JD 110 TLB or a Kubota L45/L47/M62.

I could use a stout loader and a backhoe more than I have a need for a bushhog / plowing machine. I understand that some of the TLBs can drop the backhoe and use 3PH components and approximate an AG style tractor. That would let me get a land leveler or box blade or carryall and have a sturdy loader. I'd probably get a grapple too.

I'd love to hear folks' thoughts.

Cheers,
Nate

I have heard the JD 110 TLB have some issues with the transmission case or bell housing cracking. Don't remember exactly. Google and you will see. Just make sure you are aware of it.

/ Pondering swapping out my AG for a TLB #5  
Unless you specifically need a compact machine get an older full sized construction TLB like a CAT or CASE and keep your CUT. My M59 has a lot of grunt and the loader capability is pretty close to my old Case 580D but the M59 BH with a 24" bucket and aux hydraulics has a lot to be desired. My 580D with a 30" BH bucket would out dig and out reach the M59 every time. The M59 has a great turning radius and can lift heavy loads in tight spots but there are times I wish I had a CAT420IT. The CAT 420IT (integrated tool carrier) has pilot controls, higher flow aux hydraulics and a heavy duty QA loader and will lift 5K lbs on a set of forks. The M59/M62 only lifts 4K at the pins and doesn't have a factory cab.

I would prefer a 100 PTO HP shuttle shift cab tractor and a full size late model CAT420IT as my general purpose machines for around the farm.

Last edited:
   / Pondering swapping out my AG for a TLB #6  
As always the anwer is "depends" I have 30 acres, with horses and a hayfield. I need two ag tractors for bush hogging, road maintenance, and hay making. I also have a full size backhoe (Deere 310c)

Sometimes only the backhoe is capable of the job.

/ Pondering swapping out my AG for a TLB #7  
I have switched from multiple ag tractors and backhoe to two TLBs, M59 and B26. 80-90% of the time in 3pt mode. Visibility and strong loader work, 4 post ROPS, HST, open deck and easy getting on and off big reasons. Small backhoe real handy for our maintenance.

Has worked for us but our needs have changed over the years.

/ Pondering swapping out my AG for a TLB #8  
My needs have also changed.
I needed a small tractor with a sturdy loader and good lift capacity. I almost went back to a skid steer but decided on a L47TL. A few months later I decided to get the backhoe attachment. This still allowed me to do mowing and box blading chores with the 3ph and was more comfortable for me to run than a skid steer.
While this tractor isn't great for field work it does what I need. The backhoe isn't as good as my old Ford 655a , but it doesn't have to be. My backhoe chores consist of small stump removal and transplanting small trees and bushes. It fits into small areas that would be impossible with a full size.
I generally don't like ag loaders on compact farm tractors. IMO they are only designed for material handling, not digging or lifting heavy loads. I feel the same about backhoe attachments. They work but are very limited because of what they are generally attached to.
The L47 allows me to have a kind of do it all tractor. It's certainly not the last word in field tractors, neither is it as good a TLB as a full size machine (that would weigh 10,000# more).

It does do what I need it to do with a small foot print.

/ Pondering swapping out my AG for a TLB #9  
My needs have also changed.
I needed a small tractor with a sturdy loader and good lift capacity. I almost went back to a skid steer but decided on a L47TL.

It does do what I need it to do with a small foot print.
Lol yeah that sounds great, just what I need too... checks prices.... AHHHHH. $70,000... Or still over $40k even if pounded on for 1000+hours.

Oh well.

/ Pondering swapping out my AG for a TLB #10  
WOW!! I paid about $50k for mine NEW, not quite three years ago.

There was a nice used one near me a few months ago. They were asking $48k.

Before I'd pay $70k I'd get a full size TLB even if it's too big and keep your compact.

You might just keep your eyes open for a while. There are non rentals out there, owned by people like me that don't abuse them or run them much.
Another member here got a great deal on a well equipped L45.