portable power station for charging battery with trickle charger?

/ portable power station for charging battery with trickle charger? #1  

boostmg

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3620 TLB Hydro
hey guys .. i have my tractor outside in a shelterlogic tent .. its pretty far from the house. I'll want to keep the battery charged so I'll be going out there ever so often to charge it up with my trickle charger.

i was thinking of getting one of these portable lithium power stations to bring it out there to plug the charger into. that to me seems like a pretty easy way to get it done.

i was curious if anyone did anything like this and if you have any tips. as of right now i'm not sure how big of one of these power stations i would need and they get pricey.

thanks

/ portable power station for charging battery with trickle charger? #3  
How about a solar charger? I have a 15 watt charger and it works well.
That's probably the best way to handle it.

/ portable power station for charging battery with trickle charger? #4  
A solar battery tender would be good. If you don't use the tractor much you could even remove the battery and put it on a battery tender in the garage or somewhere.

/ portable power station for charging battery with trickle charger? #5  
How about a solar charger? I have a 15 watt charger and it works well.
I did the same, and it has been working fine. The 15 watt rating is for direct sunlight, which is pretty rare in the winter. Winter is the time I need the charge maintained. I didn't bother to get a charge controller, because the chance of overcharging in the winter is negligible. A 1-amp charge into a tractor battery for at most 3-4 hours once or twice a week will not do any damage. In the summer I can disconnect it, because the tractor alternator does the job.

/ portable power station for charging battery with trickle charger? #6  
One winter I fried the small battery in the 4-wheeler by leaving it plugged in all winter. This was using a small solar charger that had no charge controller. All the water was boiled out of the battery. Never had any problems with large batteries.

/ portable power station for charging battery with trickle charger? #7  
I have power to all my out buildings. The tractor battery, an Odyssey, is just too darn big & heavy to be moving around. I have a trickle charger on it. I use to bring the smaller batteries - ATV, lawn mower, motorcycle - in the house in the winter. Now I put a battery maintainer on each.

Solar would not be my choice here. Just too many overcast days in the winter.

/ portable power station for charging battery with trickle charger? #8  
If you don't use the tractor much you could even remove the battery and put it on a battery tender in the garage or somewhere.
That would also be a good theft deterrent if the battery isn't too difficult/heavy to remove/install.

I don't see a portable charging station as doing much good. Why not just start the tractor and let it run for 20 minutes or so?

/ portable power station for charging battery with trickle charger? #9  
I don't bother putting a trickle charger on my batteries, but just keep a good jump pack (Noco Genius) to jump it if it happens to get too weak, which can even happen to a good battery in frigid temps. Much less hassle. Then just let it run and warm up/charge up.

/ portable power station for charging battery with trickle charger? #10  
I have power to all my out buildings. The tractor battery, an Odyssey, is just too darn big & heavy to be moving around. I have a trickle charger on it. I use to bring the smaller batteries - ATV, lawn mower, motorcycle - in the house in the winter. Now I put a battery maintainer on each.

Solar would not be my choice here. Just too many overcast days in the winter.
At least you are on the side of the state that is not overcast 90% of the time!