Portable work benches?

/ Portable work benches? #21  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
A few my own suggestions, along the lines of what has already been suggested:

The Keter worktable is good if portability is key. So are the new-ish sawhorses that allow you to join them with 2x lumber and throw a sheet of plywood on top.

Harbor Freight has a couple of good alternatives: Their Windsor workbench has a very decent top and side clamp which is excellent for woodworking projects. The draw and shelf storage is handy. They're a bit of a pain to assemble, but sturdy when done. They also have some good sawhorse alternatives.

If the OP's B&D Workmate tables are truly shot, consider using them as the base for a work table. Build a nice benchtop and mount it to the Workmates. Could put casters on it for mobility

A miter saw stand is excellent for a miter saw, and not terribly useful for other work.

The 2x4Basics bench kit (Lowes, Northern Tool) is excellent. I built a 4x8 bench for my wife's art studio (woodworking and painting) in 2018, and it has remained 100% perfect and solid, getting used all day, every day, most business days since it was built. Holds a lot of weight, gets hammered on constantly. The brackets, white wood 2x4s, and a 3/4 MDF top.

I use my truck tailgate frequently. Also the flip rear seat of my golf cart.

I would definitely encourage OP to think of this as two separate tools: Stationary workbench for upcoming shop, and portable bench for outside projects.

/ Portable work benches? #22  

Egon

Epic Contributor
Outside bench that holds a portable planer. Treated lumber construction supported by two three legged saw horses.

Attachments

• D0296DF3-1E08-445D-84D3-BA6AE9CF2498.jpeg
    D0296DF3-1E08-445D-84D3-BA6AE9CF2498.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 68
   / Portable work benches? #23  

MSU 21

Tractor
Kubota 3901
I had the top keter The plastic holding the leg broke. Lasted 7-8 years.

/ Portable work benches? #24  

Oz_Kioti

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti RX8030
Not exactly in keeping with the concept, but you use what you've got.

2.4m x about 1.6m (8' x 5'), the flat bed of the ute (Aussie for "Utility Vehicle", in US a Flat-bed pickup, I guess) serves as my portable work bench and works a treat!

Ute.jpg

/ Portable work benches? #25  

gwhizz63

Tractor
John Deere 310D
I've been thinking about this as well.
It seems that I need to drag along the entire shed with me when I do something. I leave a trail of tools it seems for even small projects.

I want something on a small trailer that I can pull around with SXS and just roll it into the barn at day's end.
Glad you posted this so I can follow others smarter than me. 😉
I find myself doing the same thing so l use my Atv as a rolling toolbox. Put everything in the back that l might need as well as a piece of wood to use as a work bench. Works great.

/ Portable work benches? #26  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
For outside projects I use my Gator and a miniature hayrack that I built. It is about 5' wide and 9' long on a 2000 lb. running gear.

The tools go in the Gator and the work gets done on the wagon.

/ Portable work benches? #27  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
Those are nice work benches, probably Build or find an old warehouse cart for it, imo. If you end up using castors probably make sure they lock. Or use the running gear from one of these for more off-road capability and build what and mount how you want and what you need off it. I built this one awhile back it has held up really good endless uses, plenty of room, backing it hooked to a lawn tractor is a challenge it's small enough I can unhook and manhandle it though.
Hey jjeff: I think that is the same running gear I used.

Attachments

• for sale 004-1 [].jpg
    for sale 004-1 [].jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 28
   / Portable work benches? #28  

jjeff

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota l2850, kubota l4150
This months Popular Mechanics has plans and a good section on workbenches, toolboxes for the diyr's. I've made dozens of simple sawhorses using one 2x6, some 2x4s, occasionally a small scrap of plywood for the gussets. I still have one set up north that's over 15 yrs old and spent a few years in the elements.

/ Portable work benches? #29  

coast40

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat 331, Mitsubishi BD2J, Case 580B
Not exactly in keeping with the concept, but you use what you've got.

2.4m x about 1.6m (8' x 5'), the flat bed of the ute (Aussie for "Utility Vehicle", in US a Flat-bed pickup, I guess) serves as my portable work bench and works a treat!

View attachment 752072
I want an early Ford Ute 1932-1948.
Ute.jpg

/ Portable work benches? #30  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
Before you have a portable work bench you have to use what you got :) No angle grinder or torch either just had a sawzall. I find these amusing to look at now. Clamp it and fashion a blade guide. :)

BeforeCut.JPG

TubeClamp.JPG

gg

Last edited: