Position control

/ Position control #1  

Millalien

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 (2008)
I'm having trouble understanding various comments in various threads about 3PH "position control." Do the 1/4 inching valves on Kubota tractors lower in 1/4 inch increments only unless you're dropping all the way down or raising all the way up?

And why did somebody say that a 2520 has "position control" but a 3203 doesn't. The Deere dealer here can't figure what what the "position control feature" is and neither can I - the controls look the same and appear to operate the same on both the 2520 and the 3203.

TIA...

/ Position control #2  
Position control refers to the 3 ph. It is esentially a bracket that the 3pt lever rides in and has reference numbers or marks on it and a lock knob to set the 3pt at specific depths. I have the 3203 and do wish that it had position control, but as in most cases a bracket can be fabed up in a short time. I am in the thinking process has how to make one for my tractor. Any other ?'s feel free to ask.

/ Position control #3  
jjmarotz said:
Position control refers to the 3 ph. It is esentially a bracket that the 3pt lever rides in and has reference numbers or marks on it and a lock knob to set the 3pt at specific depths. I have the 3203 and do wish that it had position control, but as in most cases a bracket can be fabed up in a short time. I am in the thinking process has how to make one for my tractor. Any other ?'s feel free to ask.

My 2320 has position control.. But what sort of lever would the 2305 have that doesnt have position control?

I thought position control was used to keep something at the same height? Or is that draft control?

brian

/ Position control #4  
On the 1/4" valve there are two stops going down and going up. The first little stop moves it in 1/4" increments in whatever direction you are going. The second stop will go faster all the way down or all the way up. The main thing is whatever stop you use, you have to center the lever to get it to stop raising or lowering. With position control you move it to a spot and that is the height it is at.

/ Position control #5  
There are no quarter inch increments with the Kubota quarter inching valve. It's a misnomer. The control is simply a hydraulic valve that raises/lowers the 3PH rapidly when moved to its extremes OR raises/lowers very slowly when moved to an intermediate "quarter-inching" detent. If held continuously at the quarter-inching lower detent, the 3PH will slowly lower all the way. Same thing if held at the quarter-inching raise detent. The detent locations can be easily moved by the operator to positions that deliver the "quarter-inching" response desired.

One other control enters into this. There's a knob under the seat that can be turned to restrict hydraulic fluid flow in the 3PH lower circuit. If closed, the 3PH can be raised, but not lowered. If opened slightly, 3PH lowering speed will be slow regardless of how the main control is operated. It will not, however, have any effect on 3PH raise speed. Fully open, the 3PH lowers quickly when the main control is moved to its lowering extreme.

Hope this helps.
Bob

/ Position control #6  
Position control is more than just a bracket with #'s on it. The design of the internal valve is completely different.

HERE is a good thread on it.

/ Position control #7  
Try them out and then you will know exactly what everyone is trying to describe.

I will add this.... Position control is worth it's weight in gold. (at least for the way I use my machine.)

/ Position control
I appreciate all this advice -- I guess what might have confused me is that the older Deere 670 I've been using must have what's being described as position control - I set the lever to a position and that's where the 3PH goes - so I didn't think it was anything special, just the way that all 3PH systems work.

/ Position control #9  
kenny is absolutely right; position control is more than the bracket. Can you get by with it? Yes. But the ability to hang an implement at a certain height and be able to return to that setting without looking is golden. :)

/ Position control #10  
indeed! I have been researching a way to add it to the 2305, looks like it may be cheaper to upgrade to a 2320...and it may be worth the $ for my purposes...just hate the thought of that conversation with the cfo!!! I may just wait a year before jumping on that one!

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Cummins Diesel engine (A32932)
Cummins Diesel...
BRIGGS & STRATTON GENERATOR (A32908)
BRIGGS & STRATTON...
2016 Bobcat MT85 Walk Behind Skid Steer Loader (A32803)
2016 Bobcat MT85...
2013 Hitachi Zaxis 210LC (A33526)
2013 Hitachi Zaxis...
Case IH 496 Disc Plow (A33041)
Case IH 496 Disc...
8' Homemade Trailer (A33544)
8' Homemade...