Oil & Fuel possibly contaminated hydraulic oil :-(

/ possibly contaminated hydraulic oil :-( #1  

RADIUM

Gold Member
Tractor
NEW HOLLAND 2420
I did my first hydraulic oil change today at about 350 hours on my 2420, to my disbelief the oil is green. Now I've seen a lot of different colors milky with water but never green, I hope to God it's not anti-freeze my brother says that would be impossible it couldn't get into the system, I know I didn't put in their. What makes me really worried the front axle fluid was just dark black that's what you'd expect to see but the transmission was Green almost a lime green. one other thing the last two weeks I noticed the loader was moving slow I was going to have my dealer take a look at it but he told me it would probably improve when I changed the filter at the 300 hour interval. Well tomorrow morning I'll bring the samples over to my dealer and see what he thinks. Another thing I forgot to mention I know it goes on and on about three months into owning the tractor it developed a leak in the bottom seal at the transmission housing where the four-wheel drive shaft meets so my dealer took it back drained it out and put the new seal in I wonder if he used a different kind of oil than the standard new Holland fluid one can only hope, I remember him telling me he filtered my fluid and put it back in my tractor new Holland would not pay for new oil just the seal and labor.

/ possibly contaminated hydraulic oil :-( #2  
There are green UTF oils out there, TRC makes one that is emerald green and I have run across one or two others over the years. One thing to remember about lubricants, color means NOTHING! It's just a dye added by the manufacturer during the blending process.

/ possibly contaminated hydraulic oil :-( #3  
Could it be synthetic oil.
Bill

/ possibly contaminated hydraulic oil :-( #4  
I agree with DP.. I've seen yellow, amber, red, green.. etc..

soundguy

/ possibly contaminated hydraulic oil :-(
I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner, you guys are right apparently it's just a different color I just couldn't believe how bright green it was, unfortunately my loader is still running slow so the dealer has to take a look at it, they turn my pressure up but that doesn't really help the speed of the loader. pretty funny to think those little shims set the check valve my stock pressure was about 2200 now just shy of 2500 what a difference in lifting not that that was really a problem before but what a difference :), I'll have to get more ballast good grief . thanks again for your help

/ possibly contaminated hydraulic oil :-(
well yesterday I solved my own loader problem, I noticed oil around the quick connects the dealer's mechanic told me it's normal while he was turning up my pressure with the shim kit ,but I wondered. I checked with my manual and sure enough it's one of the causes for slow loader cycle times, apparently it's letting air in the system so trip over to the dealer and he gave me new O-ring seals for the quick connects sure enough right back to fast I was really starting to worry if the pump was going out it's amazing how little bit of air in the system can slow it down that much. I'm just curious has anyone else had their O-ring seals leak within a year of owning is this common? could I possibly put a heavier duty connection in place of these like what I have for my grapple it never leaks at the front.

/ possibly contaminated hydraulic oil :-( #7  
incorrectly seated quick connects could have been the problem..partially blocking the flow.

that's a COMMON issue.

soundguy