Post Driver for SA324/424

/ Post Driver for SA324/424
Before I installed the post driver, I had a dual rear remote valve installed by the Yanmar dealer. The mechanic and I discussed that a power beyond was really the ideal way to power a post driver, but I decided to get the dual remote valve instead, in case I want it for other stuff in the future. The downside is, I have to rig the lever up or down while operating the post driver, and accept a slightly lower flow rate. But it worked fine during my trial run, so I think I'm happy with the decision.

Shaver provided all three hoses needed for the HD-8, and the fittings to connect them to the control valve on the driver. I had to purchase a quick disconnect fitting to connect the supply hose to the remote valve, and also an adapter to connect the discharge hose to the hydraulic tank (in place of the cap).

Shaver offers adapters for various tractor models, but when I talked to them their list only had the old Yanmar model numbers, so I didn't buy one. The Yanmar mechanic knew exactly what I needed and called around locally to find an adapter. One end has male threads which match the hydraulic reservoir fill port, and the other end has female threads for a 3/4" hydraulic fitting. I also used a 3/4" 90 deg bend with swivel to attach to the discharge hose.

There wasn't quite enough clearance above the fill port to install these, so I trimmed a little metal to make them fit. See the pictures below. In the next post, I'll cover operating it.

PXL_20220729_141853857.jpg

PXL_20220730_144034063.jpg

PXL_20220730_171342369.jpg

PXL_20220730_210216044.jpg

/ Post Driver for SA324/424 #12  
You could get a "detent" put in one of the remotes. That way it 'locks' in place, holding the valve open.

/ Post Driver for SA324/424 #14  
I'm curious if this is specifically a Yanmar problem or just the same problem with any SCUT or small CUT? Does Yanmar have some unique 3pt hitch feature?

Well, I'm sorry for taking so long to report back on what I've learned about operating the Shaver HD-8 on the SA-324. It has been a long learning process, and it has included some frustration along the way. I'll try to make a few useful posts (pun intended) over the next few days to share what I've learned. But I can summarize the main points up front:

First, I no longer have any qualms about using the SA-324 to operate the HD-8. I feel like it is a pretty good match. The issues I've encountered have more to do with the post driver than the tractor.

I'll summarize the main learning points here:
- Wait for good soil conditions. You may have to set it aside for months (i.e. - during summer) before the soil is soft enough to make good progress.
- Use the "storage jacks" to stabilize it when pounding. Just like the manual says not to.
- Keep replacement springs on hand.
- Accept "good enough." Don't expect to get the posts perfectly aligned, like when you set them the old-fashioned way. But you will move faster.
- Single person operation works fine.

More details to follow.

/ Post Driver for SA324/424 #16  
Well, I'm sorry for taking so long to report back on what I've learned about operating the Shaver HD-8 on the SA-324. It has been a long learning process, and it has included some frustration along the way. I'll try to make a few useful posts (pun intended) over the next few days to share what I've learned. But I can summarize the main points up front:

First, I no longer have any qualms about using the SA-324 to operate the HD-8. I feel like it is a pretty good match. The issues I've encountered have more to do with the post driver than the tractor.

I'll summarize the main learning points here:
- Wait for good soil conditions. You may have to set it aside for months (i.e. - during summer) before the soil is soft enough to make good progress.
- Use the "storage jacks" to stabilize it when pounding. Just like the manual says not to.
- Keep replacement springs on hand.
- Accept "good enough." Don't expect to get the posts perfectly aligned, like when you set them the old-fashioned way. But you will move faster.
- Single person operation works fine.

More details to follow.
Thanks for posting your update.
Just went throught the waiting for good soil conditions here. Probably could have got a hundred in with a pounder, but my tractor doesn't have the ground clearance to have one.
I like your setup.

The most frustrating part about using the HD-8 has been getting the posts to go in straight.

First, it takes a little time to get the tractor in exactly the right spot with the post driver vertical in both axes, and because I'm working alone that means getting on and off the tractor a couple of times. No big deal.

But when pounding the posts, I found the driver tended to lean either left or right after being aligned vertically. It did not move at all in the fore-aft direction. It seems there is some freeplay in the left-right direction. The freeplay isn't in the driver itself, but in the three point hitch. Tightening the turnbuckles on the lower arms did not fix it.

The manual says you should only have the foot of the driver (calls it the "stabilizer") on the ground when driving the posts, and not the storage jacks. However all the videos online show the storage jacks in the down position when driving (even the Shaver videos show this). So I tried it with the storage jacks down and it improved things a lot. It essentially took out the left-right sway tendency.

However, there can still be some left-right error in the posts, even if the driver stays upright. For unknown reasons, the posts just like to wander a bit. I think by using the storage jacks I took out about half of the total error in post alignment. I can't get them perfect like I used to when setting them by hand. Disappointing, but I can go much faster without beating myself up, which is very helpful.

I have the manual tilting model, which seems fine to me. The model with hydraulic tilt cost 50% more, and that would not be worth it to me. The 15% tilt capacity has been just enough for me. I've been able to handle some pretty good slopes. I've maxed it out once. I use a regular carpenter level against the frame to get it level in both directions.

PXL_20230211_195631790 (1).jpg

PXL_20230211_195659877 (1).jpg

PXL_20230311_210640358.jpg

I was able to drive most of them in straight this weekend. The difference was probably the wet conditions we have had recently. The ones that went in the easiest were also the straightest. The manual says, "Posts will drive into the ground much straighter using shorter strokes." I agree with this. But you can't use short strokes if you have hard ground. It's really more about ground conditions than technique.

PXL_20230407_173931828.jpg

PXL_20230407_174147561.jpg

On springs and things:

The second biggest frustration with the HD-8 has been the springs.

The driver incorporates two long extension springs which, together with gravity, accelerate the ram downward to strike the post. You can imagine how I felt when the first spring broke while driving the 19th post, and the second spring broke while driving the 21st post.

I called Shaver because I imagined the springs should last much longer, but Shaver said the springs are not included in the warranty. They also reminded me that the springs need to be seasoned every day before use by cycling them 10-15 times. Yes, I did this every time. So, I bought replacements from the same dealer I bought the driver from, at $50 a piece, and I hoped the replacements would last longer.

They did - one lasted for the next 93 posts, and another for 100. Also, because the springs were breaking at the curved hook at the bottom, I bought some clips which are designed for a previous type of springs, and fastened them to the bottom of the broken springs to get some more use out of them before replacement. That worked for a while, but eventually they broke in other places and had to be replaced again. This time the dealer told me they no longer sold any Shaver equipment. So I found another supplier, but the springs were now $70 each plus $30 shipping.

By the way, most of the broken springs stayed in the channel when they broke, but two of them shot out the top. One of those landed draped across the hydraulic lines and did no damage, and the other flew up and over the tractor and landed between the hood and the bucket. It also did no damage, but one end of the spring plugged itself 2" in the dirt, so I was glad it didn't hit the hood. Or my head.

Replacing the springs is easy, as long as you don't follow the instructions in the manual. The manual tells you to disassemble and reassemble the post driver for spring replacement. This is baffling, since you can figure out how to replace them in the field and it only takes five minutes. You can also install a spring clip to repair the bottom of a broken spring pretty easily in the field. You definitely want a spare set of springs at all times. It is frustrating to lose days waiting on replacements.

So, why did the first springs break so early? For a long time I assumed they were from a bad lot, but I don't believe that anymore. Here's my theory. Most of the fatigue on the metal spring occurs at impact. That impact force is proportionate to the rate of deceleration, which is proportionate to the deformation distance (how much the post moves). So the impact force will double if deformation distance is halved.

So the long and short of it is, not only will poor soil conditions require more strikes on the post, but each strike will fatigue the springs more quickly. You can see how bad conditions quickly become a recipe for broken springs.

Another thing you can do to avoid over-fatiguing your springs is to quit when you are close enough. For example, if I am trying to drive the posts 42" into the ground, but progress slows dramatically near the end, as long as I have at least 36" in the ground, I quit and cut off the top of the post to fit. This saves time, frustration, and springs. I'm currently on my third pair of springs, and I'm up to 115 posts with this pair, with no breakage.

PXL_20230223_160925132 (1).jpg

PXL_20230223_201726651.jpg

/ Post Driver for SA324/424 #20  
Its good that you figured out the spring fatigue work around so the springs last longer.

It is post installation time here as the ground moisture content is about right for digging posts. In the time you installed (pounded) your 200 plus posts, I have gotten 16 done by hand. Thankfully that is all I need to complete.

Good update on your progress!