Post driver return line

/ Post driver return line #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
My post driver has a 3/4" return line. My sump filler hole is just over 1". I put a barbed mender in the end of the hose hoping the other end would be long enough to stay in the filler hole. I should also add that there is no good way to tie the hose down in the hole. I can steady the hose but applying good straight downward force is difficult due to the location. I got through about 10 pounds and the hose came out of the hole. I noticed at the hardware store they had black rubber heater hose 3/4" ID 1" OD. I think a piece of that would fit great. There is no pressure issues but I wonder about heat and oil compatibility. Any thoughts? Any other suggestions how to get something to stick down the hole a couple inches? The hole is not threaded.

/ Post driver return line #2  
My post driver has a 3/4" return line. My sump filler hole is just over 1". I put a barbed mender in the end of the hose hoping the other end would be long enough to stay in the filler hole. I should also add that there is no good way to tie the hose down in the hole. I can steady the hose but applying good straight downward force is difficult due to the location. I got through about 10 pounds and the hose came out of the hole. I noticed at the hardware store they had black rubber heater hose 3/4" ID 1" OD. I think a piece of that would fit great. There is no pressure issues but I wonder about heat and oil compatibility. Any thoughts? Any other suggestions how to get something to stick down the hole a couple inches? The hole is not threaded.

Why not use regular hyd hose which has a pipe thread on it and put a 90 degree fitting and a 3/4 in by 6 in copper extension.

/ Post driver return line
Thanks JJ. Sometimes I just need you to hit me up side the head with a 2x4. I was at the hardware store looking at fittings to put on the 3/4" hose that would stick in the hole and I also looked at the 3/4" copper I had at home wondering if I could stick that in the hose. Some how those two thoughts just wouldn't come together. I will check at Lowe's tonight to see what fittings I can dig up.

/ Post driver return line #4  
The Filler hole on my Kubota has a 1" threaded fitting so I just got a 3/4 X1 reducer in galv steel to put on the end of the hydraulic and then got two short 1" x 3" pipe nipples and a coupling (because the hydraulic line wouldn't swivel) and connected it direct to my filler hole for the post driver. Worked flawlessly.

The only thing at Lowes that had a hose barb that would fit a 3/4" hose was a 1" PEX fitting. I ended up with a hose barb on one end and a solder fitting on the other. Then I got a 1"-3/4" copper reducer. I had copper pipe at home. I put it all together with the 3/4" pipe being just a little longer than the dipstick. So the tube fits about 6" into the hole and the reducer some what seals the opening. I will be trying it out tonight or tomorrow depending on the rain. Just to note PEX is slightly under sized so 1" PEX hose barb fits a normal 3/4" hose.

/ Post driver return line #6  
Eric,

Is that a place that water can get in. Seal it up real good.

Yes it is a real good place for water. The tractor gets parked in the barn so as long as I am not using it in the rain I should be good.

/ Post driver return line #8  
Can you plumb a tee in to the drain plug put plug on the tee an run the other port back up to the back of the tractor and put a QD on it that will keep it sealed.

tom

/ Post driver return line #9  
Be careful that something dosn't come apart and fall in there and the pipe is short enough so it won't get caught in the transmission.

I was out pounding posts this past weekend. The new return line works great. Thanks for the help.