Post hole auger: What do I have here?

/ Post hole auger: What do I have here? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
Finally got the right fittings to test out the down force cylinder on Danuser G20/40 post hole digger.
The cylinder extended 2", stopped and wouldn't retract.
When I try to retract I hear what almost sounds like a sucking sound.

Looking closer it's a single action cylinder, but two hoses from the tractor get attached to a "block", and one hose from the "block" is connected to the cylinder.
What is the device that the two hoses connect to?
Danuser website says unit comes with a "relief and automatic dump valve". Down Force Package | Danuser
What do they do? Why do I need them?
Why 2 lines to a single action cylinder?

Anyone care to guess the problem?
Not the best pic, but..
Post Digger.jpg

On a side note after messing with this and trying to get hoses connected, and air sucking noises. I put a cross drawbar, with a top link brace on my 3 pth to tow a trailer, but now my three point hitch won't lower. What the...? Air in the hydraulics? In a hurry, I just stand on the cross bar to get it to move faster. It still wont move? Want to guess? By some strange coincidence, when hooking up the drawbar the top link lined up without having to unhook it from it's carrier position. This idiot forgot to unhook the top link from it's carrier. I don't think I bent the metal bracket that holds it too bad? :banghead: THAT was a stupid move!

Last edited:
   / Post hole auger: What do I have here? #2  
Looks like a pressure reducing valve to me.
I think you would need to replace the single acting cylinder with a double acting cylinder to be able to pull it up. But I'm no hydraulics expert.

/ Post hole auger: What do I have here? #3  
Just a wild guess here, I can't see much from your pic. Would the geometry of the PHD frame force the cyl to retract when raising the 3ph? That block might be a check/priority valve type thing that would handle 2 lines from the tractor. The "retrun" stroke on a single acting cyl gives some tractors a problem. Have you tried reversing the lines to the PHD?

/ Post hole auger: What do I have here?
Yes, I tried reversing the lines, but with no success.

/ Post hole auger: What do I have here? #5  
If you don't have an operators man., (for plumbing/operation) have you checked anything that might be online?

/ Post hole auger: What do I have here? #6  
Give Danuser a call or fill in the question form that they have online. They are good folks.

/ Post hole auger: What do I have here? #7  
Finally got the right fittings to test out the down force cylinder on Danuser G20/40 post hole digger.
The cylinder extended 2", stopped and wouldn't retract.
When I try to retract I hear what almost sounds like a sucking sound.

Looking closer it's a single action cylinder, but two hoses from the tractor get attached to a "block", and one hose from the "block" is connected to the cylinder.
What is the device that the two hoses connect to?
Danuser website says unit comes with a "relief and automatic dump valve". Down Force Package | Danuser
What do they do? Why do I need them?
Why 2 lines to a single action cylinder?

Anyone care to guess the problem?
Not the best pic, but..
View attachment 422463

Do you have downdraft control? On our big jd, every so often the lever " moves by itself" and causes some head scratching:lol: It does prevent any downward movement of the 3 point

On a side note after messing with this and trying to get hoses connected, and air sucking noises. I put a cross drawbar, with a top link brace on my 3 pth to tow a trailer, but now my three point hitch won't lower. What the...? Air in the hydraulics? In a hurry, I just stand on the cross bar to get it to move faster. It still wont move? Want to guess? By some strange coincidence, when hooking up the drawbar the top link lined up without having to unhook it from it's carrier position. This idiot forgot to unhook the top link from it's carrier. I don't think I bent the metal bracket that holds it too bad? :banghead: THAT was a stupid move!
Do you have downdraft control? On our big jd, every so often the lever " moves by itself" and causes some head scratching:lol: * It does prevent any downward movement of the 3 point

/ Post hole auger: What do I have here? #8  
When you go to neutral on the remote, you lock the cyl.

That cyl needs to move when you raise or move the 3pt.

Your second hyd line should go directly to tank.

There is a relief valve on the down force valve set at about 1500 psi, and you need the relief valve to protect the cyl.

You can not run the second line back to the remotes.

You should only use down force when you actually need it.

You should have about 300 to 500 lbs of down force.

I believe the valve works by dumping cyl fluid to sump when the remote valve is in neutral, so the 3pt can raise and lower using the 3pt.

Excerpt:

IMPORTANT: Tractor hydraulics for operating the
down pressure cylinder must have float capabilities
otherwise the Post Hole Digger and Down Pressure
Kit can be damaged.

Last edited:
   / Post hole auger: What do I have here?
When you go to neutral on the remote, you lock the cyl.

That cyl needs to move when you raise or move the 3pt.

Your second hyd line should go directly to tank.

There is a relief valve on the down force valve set at about 1500 psi, and you need the relief valve to protect the cyl.

You can not run the second line back to the remotes.

You should only use down force when you actually need it.

You should have about 300 to 500 lbs of down force.

I believe the valve works by dumping cyl fluid to sump when the remote valve is in neutral, so the 3pt can raise and lower using the 3pt.

Excerpt:

IMPORTANT: Tractor hydraulics for operating the
down pressure cylinder must have float capabilities
otherwise the Post Hole Digger and Down Pressure
Kit can be damaged.

Thanks for the info. The PHD came with hydraulic connectors that didn't fit my tractor. The previous owner said he never used it either but gave me two loose "modern" ISO male hydraulic connectors and said "It's got the old style connectors on the hoses now, just change them out, I never got the chance". Uh huh! :rolleyes: So not knowing nothing I swapped the connectors on the hoses and plugged them in to try.

Wonder how much damage putting pressure on the "non-pressure sump port" did?

It makes sense now that one of the existing hose connectors was a female connector for the sump port back to the tractor tank. I thought maybe this was the style of some old tractor SCV (1 male/1 female), but just could not figure out why a single action cylinder would need 2 pressure lines. I'm a bit mad a myself for not figuring it out. I'm going to blame it the misdirection (power of suggestion) of the previous owner's "just swap the connectors" instructions. Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Between that and jumping up and down on the three point hitch when the top link was still connected in it's transport position I feel like I should of called it a day about an hour earlier. Scheesh!

Thanks for the help guys!