3-Point Hitch post hole auger

/ post hole auger #1  

GardenFence

Tractor
2001 Kubota BX2200
Hello - any comments, or suggestions on a model / size, for a post hole auger for 3-pt. on my Kubota BW2200 22-hp 3-cyl diesel? Does this tractor handle an auger well ? This would be just for use on my own property, installing 200 feet fence (maybe more, some time). I was thinking I may buy a used post hole auger rather than renting one. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

/ post hole auger #2  
We just picked up a used Kubota auger for about 1/3 the price of a new one.

They aren't terribly demanding for power, mine usually runs at just above an idle. Tractor weight can be a factor if you're in tough soil with rocks, roots, etc.

What size holes do you need? Mine has a 9 inch auger, larger holes means more power.

I'd say with 20 hp or more you'll be fine, probably quite a bit less will get the job done too.

If you do go with a 3 ph auger, remember to dig slowly, maybe 6 inches at a time, then raise it to clear the flutes. If it starts bouncing on a rock or root, let it chew through the root or dislodge the rock before feeding it any more. If it gets a real bite and screws itself into the ground, it'll be like a screw into an oak plank, and just as hard to remove. I know this from personal experience.

Do some research on the manufacturer's websites, their horsepower rating has more to do with the auger and gearbox standing up to the tractor horsepower than how much it takes to run the digger.

Sean

/ post hole auger
Silly, but i hadn't yet checked into the auger size i need. Just need to put in cedar posts, so I am guessing maybe 6" or 9" ? I may go with composite fencing materials, depending on price.

/ post hole auger #4  
If you are putting in posts say 10ft apart on your 200 ft of fence you are only talking 20 or so posts. With cedar posts (split ones) you do need to auger or dig a hole, cedar does not do well pounded. Depending on your soil you could also look at renting a one or two man power auger from a tool rental place. Or I suggest you have someone come and auger the holes for you. Getting an auger, even a used one, is still expensive for the amount of holes you are looking at drilling. I have purchased, but not yet used, a second hand 3pt auger, I am looking at putting in over 150 posts or more. Not sure what a used one goes in your area but I paid $300.00 for mine, in your case that would be about $30.00 per hole. :shocked: After I have finished the intention is to sell it. I do have a backhoe but this is my only PTO implement and I do want to use it partly to learn how to use the PTO. :)

/ post hole auger #5  
It takes very little HP to run a post hole digger. I also run mine just above idle. The only mismatch of a post hole digger to the tractor is if the three point doesn't raise enough to get the auger completely out of the hole. I have two augers. A 9" for 4" diameter posts and a 12" for 7" diameter posts. Having the two different size augers saves a lot of tamping work using a spud bar. I'm not overly fond of spud bars.

/ post hole auger #6  
my 23 hp new holland runs a 12 inch auger easily, in clay and rocky soil.

be carefull

alex

/ post hole auger
Thanks. You are correct re: renting, but if i can get a good deal on a used i'll have the convenience of augering when i want, and maybe replacing more fence in the future.

/ post hole auger #9  
Word of caution !! Be careful not to allow your cutters to wear to a width smaller than the flighting. Doing so will allow the flighting to wear into a conical shape and not cut a hole the desired width.
I learned this lesson to the tune of $250 for a new auger from Danuser.
Don't try to dig too much at once, cut 10" or so and lift the auger to clear the hole. These things will screw themselves into the ground if you try and cut too much at once.

/ post hole auger #10  
Buy a used one. Don't rent one or hire it out. You'll be glad to have it around. I picked up a slightly used TSC PHD last week with 12" auger. Great shape. $200. You won't have to look very long.