potential boomer 8N buyer

/ potential boomer 8N buyer #1  

deadshort

I am very close to pulling the trigger and buying a new 8N but after test driving one I have some concerns that I need some help with. First, I really didnt like the feel of the CVT transmission. It almost reminded me of driving a snowmobile, it seemed kind of jerky and when I let off the throttle it seemed to keep creeping for a long time. I understand that there are some ways to program the response time of the throttle through the computer. Has anyone done this? what were the results? I would be coming off of a hydrostatic tractor. Is it an easy learning curve to adapt to the CVT?

Is there any way to get off the tractor without the engine shutting off? I put the for/rev. lever in the neutral position, set the park brake and every time I stood up the engine shut down. What am I doing wrong?

I need some input on all of the electronics and programming involved with owning this tractor. I have not even looked at the manual yet but I understand that several things may need to be programmed for the tractor to be used say for loader work than reprogrammed for say field work. I dont want to have to have the 12 year old neighbor girl come over to program my tractor for me everytime I want to do something.

Other than these issues I loved the way this tractor looks and operates. I was amazed at how much quieter it was compared to my hydrostatic system. Are there any other important points I should know about before making the purchase? I would prefer that I get answers and input from people that actually know something or even better own one of these tractors not someone who read other internet comments and now are "experts". Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
   / potential boomer 8N buyer #2  
Can't help you but welcome to TBN, that 8n is a slick looking machine.

/ potential boomer 8N buyer #3  
Mine has the default program and works just fine. With the shuttle in neutral and the parking brake set mine runs without me in the seat, that needs to be checked. The CVT does have a short learning curve but I now prefer it to my HST. It is quieter when mowing, music is much better thru the headset.

Without the rpms up the foot throttle can be a little jerky. Run the hand throttle up to 2000 rpm and then drive it. Makes a big difference on pedal response. When I let off my foot pedal mine stops quickly, better have the seatbelt on. Reactivity is adjustable with the switch and programming.

Read the manual about operating the Boomer 8N and you will enjoy it. The range switch changes % of max speed. The first 25% of pedal in low range is for inching. Cruise preset (mine is at 3 mph for mowing) only works in high range. Little things like that can frustrate folks that don't read the manual.

Mine does not have a loader so the ride is a little rougher than my wife's TC40DA. I had to add 200# of weights to the front to use the 6' Bush Hog, was a little light in the front with the Bush Hog lifted. I may add 300# more to help the ride. The headlights add a nice look in the daylight but are not the greatest at night for working.

I added the chrome rear worklight and it is great, lights up the world behind you. I also added the grey canopy to keep the Texas sun off me and it looks good and works good. I am looking at mounting some LED floods on it for night work.

I really like my tractor and it's retro look. I use it for mowing my 14 acres. We have the TC40DA that we use daily to clean stalls, move hay and such, so I did not get a loader on mine. What sold me was when my wife said "That's cute, you ought to buy it." Nothing better than buy-in from the boss.

/ potential boomer 8N buyer
Hi Randy, Thanks for your reply. This is exactly the type of reply I was looking for. I understand I would need to read the manual if I buy it but that kind of hard to do just while test driving it at the dealer. Besides it was 6 degrees and windy here the day i was test driving it so I wasnt about to page through the manual.

What were your thoughts when you first drove it compared to your hydro? You mention the reactivity adjusting through programming; is that a difficult process? How many hours do you have on your machine now? Any problems? Regrets? So far the most impressive part to me was the seat, wow is it comfortable.

/ potential boomer 8N buyer #5  
Don't know much about the 8N, but the shutting off when getting off the seat is a big pain in the but. I uhooked the seat switch on my boomer. There is 2 much safety junk on equipment now days. I'm on and off my tractor too much sometimes to shut it off all the time.

/ potential boomer 8N buyer #6  
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WLnRhoccAE]A Biodiesel Discussion and a New Holland Tractor in Jay Leno's Garage and - YouTube[/ame]

/ potential boomer 8N buyer #7  
It was different compared to my HST but didn't take long to adjust to it. There is a low/high range reactivity switch, each can be programmed to low/med/high for that range depending on your preference. The lower the setting, the slower acceleration/deceleration is when the pedal is pushed/let off. Mine stays on high and is set to H3 so it reacts the quickest. The seat is comfortable, does not catch water, and I sweat less than a solid seat on a hot day.

/ potential boomer 8N buyer #8  
Pull the trigger on the CVT, once you get used to it you won't own another hydro. I have 300 hrs. on my Farmall CVT and have not had any issues.

/ potential boomer 8N buyer #9  
also, some of the tactors needed a computer program update that the dealer will do for you. we had two on our lot that needed it done because they were some of the first to come out. it didnt take 10 minutes to update so it is no big deal. your dealer should know if it needs the updates or not. Have them check regardless. it will allow them to run a little smoother and all. yes having the throttle at an idle and trying to take off it will be a little jerky. try around 1500 or so rpm and then go. 10 times better. other than that, once you get use to it and the options and features, it is a FUN tractor and will be great.

/ potential boomer 8N buyer
Thanks for your input I will go drive it again.