pouring slab inside pole barn

/ pouring slab inside pole barn #1  

yandeereguy

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 950 2wd John Deere 870 MFWD, John Deere F525 mower, John Deere F725 mower, John Deere F510 mower, John Deere Lx172 mower
I have a 70 x 32 foot pole barn about half is poured from when it was built, so now I'm working on pouring the other half which is exactly 32 x 32 pour.. my question is how on the money should my floor be level prior to pouring? I have 5" of sand down and working on compacting it but not getting it on the money some spots 6'' some spots 4".. I'm working on this by myself and getting a little overwhelmed. **** I don't even know how I'm going to finish it? probably have to hire that end of it out

Also should the concrete slope down to my sliding doors at the end of the pole barn or should I keep it level??

/ pouring slab inside pole barn #2  
my question is how on the money should my floor be level prior to pouring? I have 5" of sand down and working on compacting it but not getting it on the money some spots 6'' some spots 4".

It's important to get it level, I use a screed just like I'd use to finish concrete. Take a 2x4 on edge and stretch strings across your surface at the right height and use them to screed off the sand by hand. Shouldn't be that hard with sand, use your tractor to backdrag if you really have a lot to move. But be systematic, start at one end (preferably where there's too much sand) and keep pulling to the other end, don't jump all over.

Also should the concrete slope down to my sliding doors at the end of the pole barn or should I keep it level??
Depends if you bring water in there, either from critters or vehicles. You could just pitch the last 5-10' by the door in case rain or snow melt gets in.

/ pouring slab inside pole barn #3  
I believe you are referring to the sub grade on the 4-6"variation. The top of concrete will finish to the top of your form boards and no one will know that in some places it is 4" or 6" thick. On a really big job the 2" turns into yard$ of concrete over budget....
That said, get some help with place and finish. You will be glad you did.

/ pouring slab inside pole barn #4  
you can use a "Story Pole" and run it along the rafters if they are level that way you will end up with the floor sand level. Story Pole is a "T" or a "H" shape that spans the rafters and down to the floor scrape it level.

M

/ pouring slab inside pole barn #5  
I have heard that sand is not the best base for concrete, at least around here they don't recommend it. I used run a crush stone for the base on my pole barn and the ran a compactor over the whole thing. Just a thought. I'm no expert that's for sure.