Power Angle Plow

/ Power Angle Plow #1  

Dave01

Silver Member
Anyone ever install a power angle plow on a Cub? I have my 1864, and just bought a 2084 as well. I'm thinking of putting a plow on the bigger 2084, but am trying to decide between a hydraulic power angle Cub plow or a Johnny Plow. Would the ram for the power angle run off the existing hydraulic valve block, or does a 2nd one need to be added?

Am I right that the Cub hydraulic plow will have no down pressure? The Johnny Plow has enough down pressure to lift the front end so I'm wondering if it would do a better job. I'd be interested in any opinions on this.

David

/ Power Angle Plow #2  
Hi David,

I currently have a Cub 54" plow in the classifieds here.
I'm selling it because I use a snowblower for snow removal and I have a FEL on another tractor.

The left/right hydraulic movement is driven by another set of ports on the front of the Cub. I believe most of SGT's had the ports and two levers side by side on the left side of the console to control the blade.

I've used mine to move snow and topsoil and it does a great job.

I believe they are not intended to have down pressure, but an adjustment can be made to the ram to change up/down travel, but you'd lose some up travel?

If you were closer, you could take a look at the 54" I have, It's a well designed plow.
Here's a link for the manual for the 54"

http://www.ihregistry.com/manuals/att/54.pdf

Depending on what you're wanting to use it for, the standard 42" Cub blade might be a better choice, they are generally manual change left to right but can be had for around $150 and are pretty universal for the garden tractors.

Good luck!

Curt

'

/ Power Angle Plow
Curt, that plow might work for me. The 1872 you had it on was made from '87 to '89, my 2084 was made in 1994, so I'll have to figure out if it will fit or not. Anyone here know if it will fit?

I don't know if the 2084 has the front hydraulic outlets or not, I won't be picking it up for a couple of weeks.

Would you be able to get it on a pallet to ship it?

/ Power Angle Plow #4  
I had a power angle plow on my old 1450 which worked very well. I plowed snow for many years with it and hated to part with it. It cost around $600 way back in 1978. I don't believe it had much down pressure. I was a little perturbed after buying the tractor, having it delivered, and discovering it didn't have the front hydraulic outlets for the angle plow. I ended up making a deal with the dealer that I would install the outlets myself if he gave them to me free of charge. It wasn't too bad of a job - new valve body, drilling the holes in the frame, and running the two hydraulic lines. The control handle had to be added also.

Bob B.

/ Power Angle Plow
Bob, was your plow a 42", 48", or 54"? I'd certainly like to go with the 54" but don't want to end up with a rig that struggles to push snow because the blade is too big. I used to plow with a JD 214 and 42" plow, it struggled a bit but I didn't have enough weight on the tractor. The 2084 is a heavier tractor with bigger wheels, so I'm hoping if I get some weight and chains it will handle the 54".

I took a look at the front hydraulic outlet installation guide. It didn't look like too bad of a job to me, if I go that route I don't mind tackling it.

Has anyone on this forum run a Johnny Plow? I'm curious to hear from someone on this rig.

/ Power Angle Plow #6  
Dave01 said:
Anyone ever install a power angle plow on a Cub? I have my 1864, and just bought a 2084 as well. I'm thinking of putting a plow on the bigger 2084, but am trying to decide between a hydraulic power angle Cub plow or a Johnny Plow. Would the ram for the power angle run off the existing hydraulic valve block, or does a 2nd one need to be added?

Am I right that the Cub hydraulic plow will have no down pressure? The Johnny Plow has enough down pressure to lift the front end so I'm wondering if it would do a better job. I'd be interested in any opinions on this.

David
I have blade on my GT3235 and yes it DOES have down preassure, enough to lift the front tires off the ground about 3". The blade uses 2 circuits an angle and a lift - so my GT3235 (has hydraulic deck lift) has 3 levers.

/ Power Angle Plow #7  
Dave01 said:
Bob, was your plow a 42", 48", or 54"? I'd certainly like to go with the 54" but don't want to end up with a rig that struggles to push snow because the blade is too big. I used to plow with a JD 214 and 42" plow, it struggled a bit but I didn't have enough weight on the tractor. The 2084 is a heavier tractor with bigger wheels, so I'm hoping if I get some weight and chains it will handle the 54".

I took a look at the front hydraulic outlet installation guide. It didn't look like too bad of a job to me, if I go that route I don't mind tackling it.

Has anyone on this forum run a Johnny Plow? I'm curious to hear from someone on this rig.

Dave, I don't really remember what size it was anymore but I would guess that it was 48 inches.

Bob B.

/ Power Angle Plow
Vernonator, that's good to know. I think there is a difference in the 3000 series where you can use the plow with the deck in place, while on mine you have to remove it. Not certain, but think I read this somewhere. I wasn't sure if the deck lift had both up and down pressure, or if it just used its own weight to lower. I hope mine works the same way as yours.

Bob, I think I'll give the 54" a try. A 42" plow would seem pretty small on this tractor, and I don't believe they offer a 48".

Thanks for all the replies on this.

/ Power Angle Plow #9  
Hey Dave,
On the Garden tractors prior to the 3000 series, like my 1872 and your 2082 and all the other non SGT's, the mower decks and blades use a different subframe and they attach at the same locations.

I believe if you take the center driveshaft cover off the earlier tractors, you'll see the ram that controls lift for the deck or blade and there is some adjustment that can be made there to get down pressure.

Of course when you put the mowing deck back on, down pressure would be a problem!

Maybe thats why its designed that way?

Curt

Curt

/ Power Angle Plow
Here was my question to Cub Cadet customer support, and their reply:

--------------------------------------------------

My Question
I'd like to install a 54" power angle plow on my 2084 Super Garden Tractor. Two questions - first, could you let me know what kits are needed to do this? I know I need the plow and hydraulic angle kit, but assume I also need extra hydraulic valve block and controls. Second, does the hydraulic lift provide any down pressure on the plow?
Thank you,
David

Cub Cadet Reply
Unless you can find these products on Ebay or through a Cub Cadet dealer, they are not available. We no longer stock the blade or angle kit. An auxiliary valve would be required to operate the power angle. Again, this valve is no longer available through Cub Cadet. The blade would not have down pressure.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I've been too lazy to look at whether the lift cylinder is a 2 way cylinder or a lift only, bleed to lower type, that will decide whether I get down pressure or not. I suspect the answer will be no, as their guy said.