Power Line to my house was broken

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
Googled (actually used Bing) "telephone pole butt ground" and went to images.....
DDE7F4A1-03D4-47C5-9DF1-491E6813FA1D.jpeg

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
it is a common practice here Coobie. Every pole, before it is set has a spiral wrap on the bottom of the pole with the #6 wire. Of course it is stapled all the way down the pole and then the spiral wrap on the bottom of the pole.
I thought I had mentioned this up thread but maybe I only thunk it. :unsure: :D

Years ago they were replace power poles in town, and before they put the poles in the ground, the poles were just laid out along the side of the road. I noticed that all of the poles had a copper wire running down the pole and at the bottom of the pole the wire was in a nice, neat coil. The coil and wire were stabled to the pole.

This was when copper theft was a big problem and I thought they were taking a chance leaving the poles out with that tempting copper just sitting there. Best I could tell, none was stolen. (y)

We have had so much growth, the "new" poles are being now replaced with bigger and taller poles. :eek:

Later,
Dan

rademamj1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK4010 SEHC, Kubota GR2120, Gravely Proturn 460
Great thread with lots of useful information.

ponytug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
Never seen that before here in the north country ..
Me, either, but I wonder if it has a lot to do with the soil depth that you can expect a reasonable ground at. Soil that is too dry / too sandy / too rocky isn't going to function well.

Or do you think it has to do with grounding lightning strikes better?

Either way, this has been a really interesting thread. Thanks to everyone for contributing. Personally, I find it hard to believe that @EddieWalker is still partially wired...

All the best,

Peter

OP
EddieWalker

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
Still not fixed. I'm hoping that with the rain coming fairly steady, the ground will remain wet and I'll continue to have a good ground until the fix it.

I've been wracking my brain to try and remember how they did the ground wire on the poles when they installed them. I remember seeing a guy unroll the copper and staple it to the pole when it was still laying on the ground, but I don't remember what he did with it at the bottom of the pole.

ponytug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
Unreal. Just unreal.

I hope that you stay safe. With the rain, I certainly expect your home grounds to be going to stay in good shape.

All the best,

Peter