Power out, Generator on.

/ Power out, Generator on. #1  

Mousefield

Elite Member
Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
Tractor
Sold 2008 CK35 HST
After a good winter with no serious storms we had a real strong :( wind storm yesterday afternoon. Our power went out about 4:30 PM and is still out now, which is 11:45 AM.
A few years ago we had a wind storm take out dozens and dozens of power poles in our area and we had no power for 5 days. Many trees landed on the lines and snapped the poles a few feet below the wires. After that we got a generator panel and good size generator for the house. Had the electrician put the panel in. It is nice to have power to most of the house circuits (110 volt) and even out to the barn. :) The generator apparently will run either 110 or 220 but not both at the same time. More important for us to have lights and plugs working rather than hot water, stove and heat pump. Got the wood stove on although it is not that cold out, got a nice sunny day happening.
Our well and pressure tank are run on a panel (separate meter) in our shop and are 220. We are thinking of getting a generator panel and 220 volt generator so we can have water. We have a 220 pump in our above ground 2000 gallon storage tank so only need to run that. It would last for a long time so don't need to run the well pump, so shouldn't need a big generator. What size generator with 220 volt have other used that would run the 220 pump?

/ Power out, Generator on. #2  
Take a picture of the Generator that you currently have and a close up of the name plate with all of the information. Most generators you can run both 110V and 220V at the same time. Yours may be different Then the question would be what else could you run with what you have? The info would help with advice.

/ Power out, Generator on. #3  
I have a 6kw generator that will run at a higher current on 110 in one mode and then lower current in the other that will give both 110 and 220. I wonder if that is what you have. Or maybe it's hooked up wrong. Send us pictures of your outlet section and switches on the generator.

/ Power out, Generator on.
To clarify my request. I need to get a 2nd generator for the shop. The house is over 200 ft away from the shop. Don't think it is practical to run an extension cord that far. All I am looking for is, I think, is the smallest generator that will run a 220 1/2 hp submersible pump. I would run it a few times a day for say 1/2 hour to get water to our house and two mobiles. Would also get the electrician to put in a generator panel if needed? Just wondering what others have? :)

/ Power out, Generator on. #5  
I have a 10KW generator / welder. Miller Bobcat 250NT with 20HP engine. When our power goes out it will run our entire house. My 220V items I run include the well pump, shop air compressor, window A/C, and clothes dryer. The rest is 110V. You could get by with a smaller generator say 8KW but you can only run one thing at a time. Two or more 220V items may draw too much and trip out the breaker. My generator has run the window A/C and had the well pump kick on at the same time with no problem. I previously had a 5KW (6250 surge) 220 generator but it would not handle the A/C and it strained when the well pump came on. It only had a 20A breaker on the 220 side of the generator.

/ Power out, Generator on. #6  
I have a 6kw generator that will run at a higher current on 110 in one mode and then lower current in the other that will give both 110 and 220. I wonder if that is what you have. Or maybe it's hooked up wrong. Send us pictures of your outlet section and switches on the generator.

Bob if you hook up your genset to a transfer in the 220v mode and I feel sure it will provide 110V to ground with each hot conductor. I could be wrong but my machine is set up this way as well. In the 220 Mode it will supply 110V and 220V. Is this how yours works? Oh I have a Aurora 6500Watt Diesel.

/ Power out, Generator on. #7  
Bob,, I have a 4200 watt that runs my 3/4 hp 220 volt pump with no problem.. I don't know if I would go any smaller.. If you are only going to run the one thing "pump" off the gen. you might ask you electrician if he could put in a 20 amp. double pole double throw switch.. "about $25.00" to use as a transfer between utility power and gen. power.. Alot cheeper than a gen. panel..:)

/ Power out, Generator on. #8  
To answer your question....

A honda EG 3500 would be an excellent choice for your 1/2 HP Submersible. I have used that same generator to run up to a 1-HP pump, so I know it will work for your 1/2. I had a long post on here about using generators with well pumps somewhere...

/ Power out, Generator on. #10  
I have a hyundai 7250 watt generator. It was installed to a manual panel with key circuits by a professional electrician. We have a wood stove, hot water baseboard furnace for heat - 2 zones.

This unit will power everything but the dryer. So when the power is out we can run lights in the bathroom, kitchen, family room and two bedrooms along with fridge, TV/Satelite, computer, furnace, well pump, deep freeze and coffee machine. It has 1 220v and 4 110v outlets. Output current is 27 amps with max being 54 amps. I use this to run my compressor/air tools and various power tools in the fields.

I think there is one manufactory of this style of generator with different 'branding'. Although Hyundai - I have seen at least 6 in my travels that look very close and have different manufacturers names. Also, I bought it at wall mart - I have seen same output units cheaper with the same 2 year warranty...