Power Rake Build - 54"

/ Power Rake Build - 54"
Update.

The hard stuff - cutting keyways, building double-strand sprockets, aligning\tacking the teeth, and tensioner and now done. Also tweaked the drawing quite a bit. (one of my hidden agendas was the learn Solidworks)

My brother-in-law laser cut the AR400 teeth for me. The tensioner "shoe" is from an older model (1965?) Harley-Davidsons (i used 1 and half of them tied together). I swear - the welding nobody can see looks amazing. :D

It's prime grass-growing season here so I have to get this thing done!

1693109611218.png

20230826_223640.jpg

20230825_120326.jpg

/ Power Rake Build - 54" #12  
Looks like you're making really great progress. One thing im a little concerned about is using single keyways for the gears. Ive had problems over the years with the preseeders I use even though they use 6 spline shafts. I think there's a high chance that keys wont hold up. another thing the preseeders had issues with was they were originally built with a single #80 chain that failed commonly and was eventually upgraded to a #100. I know you aren't doing really heavy work with it but keep a close eye on if the chains are stretching or wearing. They tend to pile up in the case when they fail and bend either the shaft or the case. I don't want to come across as negative because thats a really cool project but just wanted you to be aware of some of the failures ive had to deal with so maybe you can avoid them.

/ Power Rake Build - 54"
Looks like you're making really great progress. One thing im a little concerned about is using single keyways for the gears. Ive had problems over the years with the preseeders I use even though they use 6 spline shafts. I think there's a high chance that keys wont hold up. another thing the preseeders had issues with was they were originally built with a single #80 chain that failed commonly and was eventually upgraded to a #100. I know you aren't doing really heavy work with it but keep a close eye on if the chains are stretching or wearing. They tend to pile up in the case when they fail and bend either the shaft or the case. I don't want to come across as negative because thats a really cool project but just wanted you to be aware of some of the failures ive had to deal with so maybe you can avoid them.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't really know anyone with PTO driven equipment so I appreciate the feedback. I've done a disturbing amount of research and can't disagree with anything you're saying. There's a lot of hints in building a good power rake in all ground engagement equipment so thanks for sharing the weak points on a preseeder.

I wasn't feeling too confident in a single key either after researching the drive systems on tillers however some of the cheaper power rakes seem to use them.

To mitigate I'm using stronger cold rolled steel on the shaft and eccentric locking collars on the bearings. The keys are sanded-to-fit and require a good tap to fit so I'm hoping that helps too. I might scrap the box store (princess auto) key stock and get something from the local industrial supplier... the key stock cut way too easy on the bandsaw for my liking. I could see myself laying a good bead of weld if there's ever a simple key failure.

For the chain I'm going to look into filling with a small amount of oil instead of grease to keep from wearing. It's remarkable how little wear\stretch is on an automotive timing chain so I'm hoping to barrow from that too. I'm not left with a lot of room for stretch as you can see. Something i learned; I was about to run out and buy an 'offset link' until I read the footnotes - 35% reduction in capacity when using offset links! 50-2 or 80-1 chain is common for a power rake of this size\capacity (or even a step or two bigger) I had to buy about 3x more than I needed so i have a few lives. 50-2 chain would be equivalent to single "70" chain if there was such a thing FWIW.

I have a mostly random potato sized rocks on my property and my dad has a few roots, so we'll see if the weakest link is strong enough. 👍

/ Power Rake Build - 54" #14  
If you upgrade to taper lock hubs on your sprockets then loosening off won't be a problem. Google "browning hub" or "split hub" to see what I'm talking about. I've been told that you can tighten the hubs onto a worn spline and it will grip without slipping.