Power Steering control unit -DK 35

/ Power Steering control unit -DK 35 #1  

dadannyboy

Tractor
koiti
Hey Folks, I have a 2002 DK-35 and started experiencing hydraulic fluid leaking down the steering column. I pulled the column and it appears that the fluid is coming from around the gears of the steering control unit. I have been searching the forums for a rebuilt kit for the steering unit as I can't afford $1500 that a replacement would cost from a dealer. I have emailed several hydraulic shops and they are giving me estimates of $500 to rebuild and $750 plus to replace.

Has anybody rebuilt the power steering control unit and can provide the rebuild parts info or has anyone replaced the pump with something similar. I know enough about hydraulics to know that I can't throw any old pump on to replace.

The pump has a tag that states - Sumitomo, Eaton - Orbitrol power steering pump(model RW051B120R6A) off a 2002 Kioti DK 35.
Thanks Dan

/ Power Steering control unit -DK 35 #2  
Eaton is a big name, find a sales or info email for them online, ask for a parts diagram referencing that model number. It may take some time to get directed around, but you'll often get your answer. They don't necessarily need to know that this is out of a tractor, they just need to know the pump model and serial number, and often a picture of the nameplate. They make pumps and other components for an enormous range of equipment offshore.

Just keep the email very short and only the information required.

/ Power Steering control unit -DK 35
Thanks xcgreene, Email sent to Eaton. Was hoping that someone has had some experience with this part. I have inquired at several hydraulic shop that advertise to the agricultural industry. A few of the shops have had inquires about this part number. One guy said that he gets several requests per month for this part number but has never worked on one. Hope Eaton comes through.

/ Power Steering control unit -DK 35 #4  
You could be pioneering some good info for people on here with your first few posts. I've seen a few about the steering motors in the past, but I don't think I've seen a part number break down from eaton yet. Maybe you'll get lucky and hear word before the weekend.

/ Power Steering control unit -DK 35 #5  
Worst case scenario, you might have to take all the seals out and buy it individually at a hydraulic shop.

It will use a couple O-ring and maybe a shaft seals where the steering connects to.

I received an Email response back from Eaton that stated i needed to contact my local distributor. I looked up closest distributor via their web site and gave them a call. They laughed at me and told me to call Eaton Hydraulic Technical support and supplied me the number. I talked to a Tech named Tony, who stated that he had received several questions on that particular part number. He told me that this pump was metric and that all Eaton USA pumps were SAE and parts would not fit a Japanese model. He took my contact info and said he would reach out to their Japan division to attempt to get info. We will see what i get back

/ Power Steering control unit -DK 35 #7  
I received an Email response back from Eaton that stated i needed to contact my local distributor. I looked up closest distributor via their web site and gave them a call. They laughed at me and told me to call Eaton Hydraulic Technical support and supplied me the number. I talked to a Tech named Tony, who stated that he had received several questions on that particular part number. He told me that this pump was metric and that all Eaton USA pumps were SAE and parts would not fit a Japanese model. He took my contact info and said he would reach out to their Japan division to attempt to get info. We will see what i get back

Looks like your being directed around ok. this sort of thing takes time but it often works if you keep at it in a friendly way. You could also try Eaton Japan directly through here Contact Form (Eaton Industries (Japan) Ltd.)

Just received an Email back from Eaton Japan and stated that they could not help me and i would have to work with the manufacture to solve any issues. So i am back to square one. $1600 for a power steering motor from Koiti. Not sure the tractors worth that.

Anyone have any recommendations on a reasonable and honest hydraulic shop. The reviews on the shops in my area are not good especially if you are not a normal customer.
Thank in advance.

/ Power Steering control unit -DK 35 #9  
Just received an Email back from Eaton Japan and stated that they could not help me and i would have to work with the manufacture to solve any issues. So i am back to square one. $1600 for a power steering motor from Koiti. Not sure the tractors worth that.

Anyone have any recommendations on a reasonable and honest hydraulic shop. The reviews on the shops in my area are not good especially if you are not a normal customer.
Thank in advance.

If you are looking to retrofit, lots of folks like motion industires Hydraulics - Motion Industries

/ Power Steering control unit -DK 35 #10  
Can't you just take the seals out and buy the seals individually? It will most likely be cheaper than actual seal kit.