Power steering unit

/ Power steering unit #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
I know this is a tractor forum but I think the question is the same for a truck or tractor. I have a Dodge 1/2 ton truck. It has been a good truck but it eats power steering pumps. The truck is only used on the highway, not off road.
The latest pump last 3 days, I am sure a bad unit but the five others went out about every 2 years. It loses fluid, it seems out of a "weep" hole and then it of course growls and howls etc.
My question, could an obstruction, kink in a line, a foreign part fall in the reservoir, loose line cause the leakage? Now the shop is going to replace this last one free of charge but it get old for them and me. Any thoughts, I think they are out of ideas? Thanks

/ Power steering unit #2  
First start checking the fluid regularly so it does not get low, second add in line filters so that any debris in the system from the previously failed pumps cannot get into the new pump. Install the filter in the return line to the pump even if the shop flushes the system and lines.

Also I would check around and see if I could find a good pump at a salvage yard, I recently had issues with the steering gear on my truck, after 2 rebuilt units that were worse than the one taken off I finally bought a custom built (expensive) unit that solved the problems. Point is most of the new or rebuilt auto parts now days are mostly junk compared to OEM.

But install a filter no matter what you do, I use/added Magnefine filters on all my vehicles power steering systems.

/ Power steering unit #3  
How tight are you making the belt that there whipping out the seal?

/ Power steering unit
I brought it to a shop that has installed many over the years without issue.