Power Tilt or gravity tilt trailer

/ Power Tilt or gravity tilt trailer
Aaron

Thanks -- this is really helpful, welding is not a problem, and for the pieces this seems like a good bet

thankd
steve

/ Power Tilt or gravity tilt trailer #12  
I had a 20' 14K (16' tilt and 4' stationary) gravity tilt-bed for the past 2 years.

The concern for loading non-mobile stuff on the trailer and then tilting to unload is a very valid problem. This means that everything (brush, dirt, etc.) must be loaded towards the rear of the trailer in order for the bed to tilt and help with unloading. Forget the stationary deck!

It's a PITA...

I never really had an issue with loading multiple attachments or additional implements (besides my tractor), however. It was simply a matter of unloading the tractor first and then using the FEL to pick the other implement off the trailer.

The hyd cylinder on the deck (double-acting) was already plumbed for power up/power down - it was just plugged at the top and bottom of the cylinder. All I needed was the fitting's and hoses and the 12v electric pump.

That said -- there is/was one thing that I appreciated more than anything else in the gravity tilt over the power up/down option: when the deck was slippery (especially in fall-early winter) and it's dangerous getting the machine up the tilted deck; I never had to have a 2nd person on the spot to begin dropping the deck IMMEDIATELY, before the tractor began to slide backwards off the trailer!

As soon as the pivot point on the tilt was achieved - the bed would begin to drop. I couldn't imagine trying to hold the tractor on the slippery deck and then trying to get off and power the deck down... :eek:

One caveat on using a gravity tilt-bed trailer - IMO - put your truck in neutral and use wheel chocks when loading and unloading. Especially with heavy loads. I loaded a JD 50D excavator on my trailer this past Nov. and the "push" against the truck when the bed dropped was SCARY!!

AKfish

/ Power Tilt or gravity tilt trailer
Thanks for the tip, and appreciate the info on the hyd damper cyl setup..I was thinking the cyl is there anyway, couldn't I just simply swap out that hyd damper cyl for a pump and a 12v one, and then have the power up/down option?

I was also thinking instead of metal to really stick with wood

thanks

/ Power Tilt or gravity tilt trailer #14  
I have a manual tilt deck over and love it. At first I thought I wanted a hydraulic tilt, but now that I have the manual tilt I have learned to appreciate the fact that the unit automatically tilts when the center of gravity of the tractor goes past the pivot. First of all it makes it a one man job and you can focus on the position of the tractor versus trying to work the remote control while driving. Second, I now know where the center of gravity is on my unit and I can better estimate my tongue weight.

I purchased a set of Hensley Ultimate Tire Chocks to assure myself that the trailer will never push my truck.
Ultimate Tire Chocks

They work really well, however, be sure to remove them before towing. Don't ask me how I know....

/ Power Tilt or gravity tilt trailer #15  
Hello,
just started a small business, just basic gravel, backhoe, etc..

thanks for any help
Steve

Not to rain on you buisness or ideas, but seriously starting a new from scratch buisness in this economy is going to be a up hill battle.. Especially in the backhoe, gravel area.... There are a ton of guys that allready working looking for work. I know lots of companies have closed due to lack of work. I would think more in line with.. rototilling, mowing, FEL work ETC for small farms and undercutting what someone could rent a TLB for that woudl be a decent market to corner, and or a backhoe work for small plumbing contractors that don't own equipment.

Looking from a serious point of view your not going to haul much past a few buckets worth of material on this kind of trailer.. falling off, getting it off resonably ETC are all reasons why your wouldn't more then once, been there hated it... If you really want to haul material, get a small dump trailer and ramps ... a lot more usefull in my book and ive seen it done lots of times

Also you could just do ramps to save $$$

IF built decent enough a powered tilt should allow you to park the equipment just at the tail of the trailer and power it up, hop back on and drive the euipment to the desired location. no need to park it 6 feet up and then hop off to lower it down.
Or you could get a cord, and or cordless controll to level you back out when your driving back on the trailer all easy options

/ Power Tilt or gravity tilt trailer #16  
I have power up/down electric tilt. My trailer is 24' and 14K rating. I almost got a manual tilt but instead went electric. For me, the electric was by far the best. I can load 1-2 attachments on the front or hual material in the front and still tip trailer when I want it to. I have hauled dirt and mulch on it, tip it up, drive on and use FEL to remove. With a 2x8 removeable sides, I can quickly unload 4-5 yards of dirt in minutes with FEL. A dump trailer works better, but and electric tilt trailer and FEL is in next best option.

/ Power Tilt or gravity tilt trailer #17  
I HAVE A MANUAL TILT TRAILER HYDS UP AND DOWN.AM THINKING ABOUT CONVERTING TO ELECTRIC OVER HYDRAULICS AND WONDERED WHERE YOU BOUGHT THE ITEMS TO CONVERT.

THANKS, KEN

/ Power Tilt or gravity tilt trailer #18  
Ken,
I bought my power unit from Graingers and the cylinder and hyd. hose from Northern tool to convert my manual tilt to electric / hyd. tilt. If I remember it cost me under $700. for all parts.

/ Power Tilt or gravity tilt trailer #20  
thanks for the information, George. will go from there.

KEN