Power Tool batteries rebuilt?

/ Power Tool batteries rebuilt? #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I was looking on ebay for some new Milwaukee 18V batteries and noticed a number of companies offering to rebuild batteries.

Has anyone tried this? It's about 2/3 ($35 each) the cost of purchasing new ones. A pair of new batteries will cost me about $100.

/ Power Tool batteries rebuilt? #2  
Many battery packs use sub c and aa cell type rechargeables. I guess those companies just buy bulk batts and repower your old housing.

Lots of stuff available from old Nickle cadmium (nicad), nickle metal hydride (nimh), and lithium ion (li).. etc..

Soundguy

/ Power Tool batteries rebuilt? #3  
Yep. Don't remember the exact place, somewhere in PA I think. About two years ago, battery pack for an older Dewalt 12v drill. New battery pack has been just fine, and the savings was substantial.

/ Power Tool batteries rebuilt? #4  
Batteries Plus in Tampa used to do this. I thnk they are a chain and on the net.

Ben

/ Power Tool batteries rebuilt? #5  
if your battery pack is screwed together, not glued, you can take it apart and get aa rechargables from walmart and put them inside. quite a bit cheaper.
heehaw

/ Power Tool batteries rebuilt? #6  
I dropped a Makita 9.6v off at a local auto battery store and they did it for about $17 vs $30 for new. Might be worth calling around locally.

John

/ Power Tool batteries rebuilt? #7  
Anyone have a favorite source for the Sub C rechargeables? I need to rebuild both of my 14.4v Ryobi packs and the local prices for the cells run from $4.50 up. I've found several sources on the web with better prices, and if I order 10 the price plus shipping doesn't get too bad. The worse pack has three dead cells....still using the other one, though I bet it has at least one dead cell. Wouldn't mind having a few extra cells around, and I think my son-in-law has a couple of dead packs lying around also.

Chuck

/ Power Tool batteries rebuilt? #8  
Back when I needed one or two I hit ratschack... I'm guessing something like trw/battery store might be a good source.

Soundguy

/ Power Tool batteries rebuilt? #9  
Also do an internet search.

A couple years ago I had to replace some unusual batteries and found several sites. One I used was BatteriesAmerica.com, if I remember right. I recall that they had quite a variety. I think they had sub-c and the like.

We have a BatteriesPlus here. They seem to have a good inventory as well.

/ Power Tool batteries rebuilt? #10  
I found several sites by searching for sub c batteries. A friend at work and I were going to order a bunch together, but when he opened his bad Dewalt, eight of twelve cells were dead. At that point, he just gave me the good cells and tossed the pack because he had three more. I only needed three cells for my pack, so I used those.

I found one place where the sub c cells were less than $1@ if you bought 100. I assume the rebuilders get them for that, but then around here they sell them for $4 to $4.50 each. Also, you can get them with and without the solder tabs. The tabs should make it easier to do the rebuild, but at least in my pack the direction the tabs are welded on varies.

Chuck