Power tool questions

/ Power tool questions #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi all i was just paid for work that i did this summer. I try to buy a new tool every year and this year i am looking at a band saw. I was wondering if anyone had experience with a steelex brand bandsaw. looks like a 14'' floor standing band saw can be had for around 200.00 If i go with one at that price i may beable to do a drill press also. Looking for a total of 400 max for both. Any suggestions.
thanks

/ Power tool questions #2  
are you using the bandsaw for resawing? i think the low end band saws do not handle this very well.

/ Power tool questions
I was going to use it for a bit of resawing

/ Power tool questions #4  
If it is for serious use, then spend the $400 for the band saw and look at jet, or grizzly. If for looks primarily, and adding to the other tools, then maybe the $200 purchase will meet the need. What can you tell us about the Steelex ??

I've been given two cheap band saws, and tried my best to make them work. They couldn't be adjusted to keep the band straight as they just were not heavy enough. I'm still waiting to get the good quality bandsaw, and so far just make do without.

At my employment, I kept several quality bandsaws adjusted for others to use. So I am familiar with them. :)

/ Power tool questions
Steelex is the low end shop fox.
The last thing i want to do is drop a couple hundred not have it work and then spend more to fix what i should have done in the first place. Ill check out the griz's. Any one have craftsman bandsaws what do you think?

Has anyone used a portable band saw with the attachment that will make it a vertical band saw. Its sounds good, but is it?

Last edited:
   / Power tool questions #7  
The last thing i want to do is drop a couple hundred not have it work and then spend more to fix what i should have done in the first place. Ill check out the griz's. Any one have craftsman bandsaws what do you think?

My grandfather's Craftsman form the 50's is still working. He used it mostly for making parts for wooden boats and wasn't doing alot of resawing. His Craftsman table saw from the same era developed electric motor problems a few years ago but it got alot more use.

I'm sure the current Craftsman is NOT the same quality...

/ Power tool questions #8  

Has anyone used a portable band saw with the attachment that will make it a vertical band saw. Its sounds good, but is it?

forgeblast - My advice would be to not be impressed or deceived by the size or weight of the band saw ..the one I had that I posted about earlier was a large floor model - weighed about 200 lbs and I bought it new for about $250.00 it was an AMD and they are no longer in business ( wonder why? LOL ) anyway the thing to look at is the blade assembly and way it rides on the wheels and the adjustments you can make to keep the blade on. It is worth spending more than to go through the aggravation I went through with constantly having the blade fly off.

/ Power tool questions
What type of guides do you recommend.