Power Trac Maximum Slope Capability Questions

/ Power Trac Maximum Slope Capability Questions #11  
Thinking out loud here...seems like someone could make a remote control kit for a PT that lets you drive the machine from a safe distance / location. That way you can mow the slopes with less pucker factor - or up to the full capability of the machine. Even with the mechanical limitations of things like engine oiling, lots of folks aren't willing to take that wild a ride while onboard. On the smaller machines like the PT-425 the operator weight certainly raises the center of gravity - and THAT isn't a good thing for slope operation either...you could mount the remote components pretty low too...

Of course, I can also imagine a person standing at the bottom of the hill while remote controlling the PT...then the PT comes rolling downhill at them with the mower flailing wildly...:eek:

/ Power Trac Maximum Slope Capability Questions #12  
ponytug

Appreciate your broad input. Agree I need to contact PowerTrac and get their input for the various PT Products slope capability. Additionally I need to take a trip to see the equipment first hand in the PT yard.

Reflecting on your special use. Most of my use is rough mowing with rolling land that a conventional tractor with bushog will work fine. The PowerTrac need is for the 10 percent of the land where the slope is too much to safely cut with a conventional tractor. Initially started looking a Ventrac but started looking a PT as a more all around capable tractor replacement. My wants might be driving more cost then my true needs.

Thanks
Spanky
At one point in my life I was brush hogging new trails in your neck of the woods, and nearly got swept off our Ford into the brush mower. One comment I would make about the PT brush mower over conventional tractors is that you are driving over the brush after it has been cut down to size. The same would be true of a skid steer, but with less slope stability.

The Ventrac "Tough Cut" mower is more of a grass/large weed mower, as the mower tops out an inch. My 1445 takes out 3-4" oaks- not that you want spectators anywhere nearby! Not a totally fair comparison as the Ventrac diesel is only 25HP.

If you have other jobs in addition to mowing, I would strongly encourage you to try out a Power-Trac.

All the best,

Peter

/ Power Trac Maximum Slope Capability Questions #14  
Thinking out loud here...seems like someone could make a remote control kit for a PT that lets you drive the machine from a safe distance / location. That way you can mow the slopes with less pucker factor - or up to the full capability of the machine. Even with the mechanical limitations of things like engine oiling, lots of folks aren't willing to take that wild a ride while onboard. On the smaller machines like the PT-425 the operator weight certainly raises the center of gravity - and THAT isn't a good thing for slope operation either...you could mount the remote components pretty low too...

Of course, I can also imagine a person standing at the bottom of the hill while remote controlling the PT...then the PT comes rolling downhill at them with the mower flailing wildly...:eek:
I've converted several tool carriers to remote control. On a power trac both the steering and drive present expensive problems due to the variability of the flow. On/off controls are relatively easy to deal with and affordable. Fine control and proportional flow are expensive and relatively unreliable via remote control.

/ Power Trac Maximum Slope Capability Questions #15  
I've often thought that a PT would be a great starter machine for a handicap conversion, since you could control direction and speed with 1 joystick if you used the proper valves. And the FEL with another.

You could even convert to operate the FEL off of the speed/direction joystick with electric solenoid valves and buttons on the joystick. Although you wouldn't be able to move and FEL at the same time, it could be very workable.

/ Power Trac Maximum Slope Capability Questions #18  
No doubt about it. My 72" brush mower from PT. I have seen it toss a two inch limb over a hundred feet. That got me to wear a chainsaw face mask and helmet while mowing brush, just in case.

All the best,

Peter

/ Power Trac Maximum Slope Capability Questions #19  
I think I've mentioned this before, but what the hey, here goes again..

I ran over a 2-3" stick with the brush cutter. A bent piece of wood about 2' long comes just FLYING out away from the front right of the brush cutter, spinning away from me about 30-40'. My brain says "Hey, that looks just like a boomerang" right about the same time the piece turned around and came right back at me! GAHH!!!! I put my hands up over my face and it hit somewhere on the front of the machine or went right past me. Can't remember for sure as it's been many years, but.... YIKES! Boomerang!

/ Power Trac Maximum Slope Capability Questions #20