Power Washing the Tractor

/ Power Washing the Tractor #61  
I don't ever wash them, power or otherwise, unless I happen to get caught in the rain with it lol. I scrape off the mud and blow it off with the blower, pop the hood, clean the screen, blow everything out of there, that's it.

I'm not against washing, but I wouldn't ever power wash it for same reason as what the other guy against power washing posted.

/ Power Washing the Tractor #62  
I will continue to pressure wash mine, just like I have been doing for decades.

/ Power Washing the Tractor #63  
I will continue to pressure wash mine, just like I have been doing for decades.
Just gave my M9 Cab unit a bath about an hour ago. Started out blowing out the air filter, then the rad and screens, then I used the foam cannon on it with Chemical Guys foaming wash and a bit of Purple ZEP. The a good rinse with the pressure washer followed by a general greasing. Had to use the car mop on the hood, a bird laid a big loaf right in the middle.... :p

Pretty dirty after a good round of dry hay bailing. The round baler got it too but just an air blow off. I never wash a bailer. Too hard on the roll bearings. Blow the chaff off and grease it and oil the drive chains.

Still have to wash the open station. One thing about mine and that is they get pretty grimy in the back from all the hooking and unhooking of the hydraulic hoses. Best way to eliminate that grime is the foam cannon and the pressure washer.

/ Power Washing the Tractor
Just gave my M9 Cab unit a bath about an hour ago. Started out blowing out the air filter, then the rad and screens, then I used the foam cannon on it with Chemical Guys foaming wash and a bit of Purple ZEP. The a good rinse with the pressure washer followed by a general greasing. Had to use the car mop on the hood, a bird laid a big loaf right in the middle.... :p

Pretty dirty after a good round of dry hay bailing. The round baler got it too but just an air blow off. I never wash a bailer. Too hard on the roll bearings. Blow the chaff off and grease it and oil the drive chains.

Still have to wash the open station. One thing about mine and that is they get pretty grimy in the back from all the hooking and unhooking of the hydraulic hoses. Best way to eliminate that grime is the foam cannon and the pressure washer.

I guess I ought to expand the pressure washing equipment to include a foam cannon and some of that special soap. Any hints appreciated.

Like 5030 says, some equipment gets a lot of washing and some doesn't. I figure it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what to pressure wash and what to avoid.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Power Washing the Tractor #68  
<snip> I figure it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what to pressure wash and what to avoid.
rScotty
What's just as important is, knowing how far away to hold the wand when you're zapping stuff.

If you run into a stubborn piece of something and you're trying to get the wand to break it up, just make sure you're not near a sensitive part of the machine. Something that doesn't like water -- electrics, anything with a bearing in it, me, bare metal, etc. Common sense applies here.

I prefer not to use one. I hate the gasoline ones. Gave one or two away back when they were cheap. Just another cylinder to feed and one that, when it sits, takes too long to start most of the time. Besides, my pull-startin' days is over. Hurt my back once too often on those bastiches.

Electric is often heavy and cumbersome to use. I have one but don't use it much. On the patio. Wouldn't even think about using one on my vehicles but I don't go out and play in the mud and dirt like some of you do.

Maybe this year I'll get my new __________!

/ Power Washing the Tractor #69  
I guess I ought to expand the pressure washing equipment to include a foam cannon and some of that special soap. Any hints appreciated.

Like 5030 says, some equipment gets a lot of washing and some doesn't. I figure it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what to pressure wash and what to avoid.
rScotty
I'd also like to hear about foam cannon suggestions and tips.

/ Power Washing the Tractor #70  
Just washed the buggies last night btw. Foam cannon first then pressure washer...

Got mine on Amazon, it was 15 bucks. Got it and a new HD hose at the same time and a gallon jug of Chemical Guys car wash (though any liquid car wash of your choice will do).

For the tractors, I mix 1/3 ZEP Purple power, 1/3 liquid car wash and 1/3 water in the foam cannon bottle, screw on the top part (where the mixing chamber is) and attach that to the end of the wand on the pressure washer tips go. Then I foam the tractors down (takes about 1/3 of the bottle to foam an entire tractor, remove the foam cannon replace the spray tip and wash the tractor. The ZEP really cuts the crud and the car wash gets the rest.

I think (not sure) but I think the foam cannon works on the same principle as a fire hose foam setup, it injects air into the mix and blows it out through the end and creates a thick foam that clings to the bodywork and allows you to use your PW to remove the foam and the dirt.

Works better than I ever expected it to. Think mine is a 'Twinkle Star'. Type in 'Foam Cannon' on Amazon, the come right up.

Very useful attachment for me.

Got rid of the cheap OEM hose at the same time, got one with Quick connect fittings and much longer 75 feet. Hose is much better than the cheap OEM plastic hose, much more trustworthy.