Power Washing the Tractor

/ Power Washing the Tractor #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Does anyone else use an electric power washer on their tractor & implements? I been using a Craftsman electric motor driven power washer model CMEPW520 instead of the gasoline 5hp Husky which has so much pressure it can tear things up. The electric claims 2000 psi, but my guess (and my pressure gauge) shows it is really only about half that psi. Nice handy unit, though.

It's time for a new electric pw, & I'm looking for recommendations. I'd probably buy another Craftsman if they still made that one. Prices on others all seem to be reasonable, but I'm out of touch with what works best.
thanks,
rScotty

/ Power Washing the Tractor #2  
I've never understood washing a tractor. Sure, it's nice to keep the bonnet free of dust. The seat and instrument panel should be "presentable", But unless you are planning some maintenance or repair work, dirt just soaks up the grease and leaking fluids that are an inevitable part of tractor operation.

Wipe off the parts you need too. (grease fittings, dip sticks and filler ports etc.) then, maybe once in the spring, Wash the tractor with soap, brush, and a hose pipe. Power washers push water into places it shouldn't go!

Last edited:
   / Power Washing the Tractor #3  
Both mine get washed regularly after I run hay, Hay tools get blown off (no washing) and everything gets serviced. Interesting comment about leaks. Neither my 2002 or my 2004 Kubota M's leak anything.

I use a 3500 psi gas pressure washer with a wide fan tip. Always have. No detrimental effects. I usually use a foam cannon to apply Zep purple cleaner prior to using the PW to remove the dirt.

/ Power Washing the Tractor #4  
I use my gas powered Honda washer, wide tip , and do t get close enough to harm anything. I had an electric pw years ago, but was not much more powerful than the hose nozzle.
I keep everything I own clean. It’s why my 14 yo jd870 sold for more than i paid for it. It still looked new. I really don’t see how someone can not clean an expensive investment. Even when I worked on a large ranch back in the 1980’s, we were required to wash off the equipment.

/ Power Washing the Tractor #5  
The gaskets on the tractor aren't designed to take that kind of pressure.

I just use an air hose to blow stuff off. Don't do that too often any more. Doesn't need to be clean to work.

/ Power Washing the Tractor #6  
For small jobs, battery units run 250-500psi, store in house over winter to protect pump from freezing

Bought the werks at menards 2 years ago, if buying today I'd buy the kobalt. Maybe in a year or 2 dewalt will have one

/ Power Washing the Tractor #7  
The gaskets on the tractor aren't designed to take that kind of pressure.

I just use an air hose to blow stuff off. Don't do that too often any more. Doesn't need to be clean to work.
Says who. Why can a car take it but not a tractor. A wide fan nozzle doesn’t even cause damage to a window, how can it possible hurt a tractor.
and besides, I’ve been using that method to clean my equipment for 25 years

/ Power Washing the Tractor #8  
I use a gasoline powered pressure washer taking care as to where I point it. Aiming directly at tires/wheels/frame... is no-brainer safe. Not so much with alternator/fuse panels/and the interior of a cab! :) Common sense and all should be fine.

Wide angle fan tips are a really good idea. Some units have an adjustable pressure. Being a positive displacement pump, using a larger orfice tip is another way to decrease pressure.

Foam cannons add some fun to the job, and are a great way to apply soap...

/ Power Washing the Tractor #9  
   / Power Washing the Tractor #10  
Most often I just hose my tractor off, but when my tractor gets ultra groady and I am going to work on it I might use a pressure sprayer to clean it. But I don't get too close with the tip and I avoid spraying greased joints, seals, decals (unless I want them gone) electrical connections or devices like the fuel injection pump, oil filler cap, etc. I don't believe in keeping a tractor nearly as clean as I would my car, but there are limits of nastyness and grimyness I can tolerate, and sometimes a hose just won't get the job done.