Power Washing the Tractor

/ Power Washing the Tractor #31  
I've never understood washing a tractor. Sure, it's nice to keep the bonnet free of dust. The seat and instrument panel should be "presentable", But unless you are planning some maintenance or repair work, dirt just soaks up the grease and leaking fluids that are an inevitable part of tractor operation.

Wipe off the parts you need too. (grease fittings, dip sticks and filler ports etc.) then, maybe once in the spring, Wash the tractor with soap, brush, and a hose pipe. Power washers push water into places it shouldn't go!
I regularly knock off the big clay balls from plows with water, rinse off grass, dirt etc after mowing/baling etc. Not so much to have a clean & waxed appearance, but so I don't have all that mess in the barn where the tractor & implements are kept. Even with a dirt floor, all that mud/clay/grass etc can start mounding up to a point I wouldn't be able to store everything. Plus the grass attracts hornets - which I really don't enjoy.

/ Power Washing the Tractor #32  
Does anyone else use an electric power washer on their tractor & implements? I been using a Craftsman electric motor driven power washer model CMEPW520 instead of the gasoline 5hp Husky which has so much pressure it can tear things up. The electric claims 2000 psi, but my guess (and my pressure gauge) shows it is really only about half that psi. Nice handy unit, though.

It's time for a new electric pw, & I'm looking for recommendations. I'd probably buy another Craftsman if they still made that one. Prices on others all seem to be reasonable, but I'm out of touch with what works best.
thanks,
rScotty
Most often tractors use a powder coat finish the easily peals off under high pressure. Components that use a base clear system tend to take a pressure washing better. Hydraulic fluid, diesel, and now def fluid an damage paint and cause peeling and rusting. I always keep my tractor washed after coming g out of the fields for the season and before maintenance. Keeping excess dirt and plant debris away from vital components will reduce moisture induced metal failure and fire hazards. If you continue to keep a clean machine it can only help. I use a greenworks electric pressure washer around the farm to reduce fire hazards and it works fairly well.

/ Power Washing the Tractor #33  
Mine was a bit more than 45 when it was new. Still looks new because I take care of it. Take care of both of them actually. I dislike filth anyway. Hardest stuff to take care of are the hay tools because they don't get washed, just blown off with air. Hard on the bearings to wash them.
My friend bought a new 560 jd baler. At the end of the season he cleaned it up for winter storage and used a power washer on some of it.
The next year he said he had to replace nearly every bearing in it.

Ouch and double ouch!

/ Power Washing the Tractor #34  
Back in the 70's when pressure washers were new The dealers I worked at had a 500 PSI washers the used a twin cylinder Hypro pump. Later a 750 PSI belt driven unit was used. They were used to wash down combines and tractors either for resale or before mechanical work was started. Even those "low" pressure washers could blow off paint and decals if it was loose. My issue now is the manufacturers are all making 3,000 PSI plus washers. Do we really need that much to clean equipment? Or is it comparable to the horsepower "wars" in light trucks? You know gotta keep up with the neighbor mentality. Remember when freight was hauled in box trucks powered with 85 Horsepower then they even went to 110 yes the old flat head Ford. Now it seems a semi needs 850 to 1,000 horsepower. Pickups are bragging of over 500 horsepower and over 1,000 foot pounds of torque. Do we really need that high pressure?

/ Power Washing the Tractor #35  
My friend bought a new 560 jd baler. At the end of the season he cleaned it up for winter storage and used a power washer on some of it.
The next year he said he had to replace nearly every bearing in it.

Ouch and double ouch!
Buddy of mine had an HD Classic that he babied. Took it to the Dealer at least every other week to be cleaned.

They use pressure washers. Just had to spend some serious bucks replacing the front wheel bearings.

I won't use a pressure washer on ANYTHING mechanical.

/ Power Washing the Tractor #36  
While getting my tractor serviced by the Kubota mechanic he mentioned I could spray the hydraulic hoses where they all join up (it gets really dirty/cruddy there). I asked with what? And he said a pressure washer. I asked if that would damage anything and he said no. So that's my experience with it.

As far as type of pressure washer, like others have mentioned definitely gas-powered with a reliable motor like Honda. That's what I have and it's a reliable workhorse. I've never had luck with the electric ones. p.s. I bought my gas-powered washer off an online market site and paid half what it was new. Some ppl use them once to wash their house and then sell them, so it's a good idea to keep your eyes out for one. Of course if you do that make sure you see it running with no leaks. If it was well-maintained it should last you a long time :)

/ Power Washing the Tractor #37  
I use my gas powered Honda washer, wide tip , and do t get close enough to harm anything. I had an electric pw years ago, but was not much more powerful than the hose nozzle.
I keep everything I own clean. It’s why my 14 yo jd870 sold for more than i paid for it. It still looked new. I really don’t see how someone can not clean an expensive investment. Even when I worked on a large ranch back in the 1980’s, we were required to wash off the equipment.
I'm the same way. The biggest reason that I bought the tractor that I did, is because I could tell the owner kept up maintenance by the way he kept the tractor clean, a 1987 that looks almost new. I have a 99 Mercedes a 90 Jaguar convertible V12 a 99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate MC a 99 Honda valkyrie Interstate Trike a 07 Chev Silverado pickup a 92 Isuzu pickup and I keep them maintained and looking close to new. I treat my new to me Mitsubishi 4x4 Loader the same way and they will bring more $$$$$ if I ever decide to sell. Worked hard for my money and take good care of what I have. All my vehicles, including tractor and implements are garage kept when not in use.

/ Power Washing the Tractor #39  
While getting my tractor serviced by the Kubota mechanic he mentioned I could spray the hydraulic hoses where they all join up (it gets really dirty/cruddy there). I asked with what? And he said a pressure washer. I asked if that would damage anything and he said no. So that's my experience with it.

As far as type of pressure washer, like others have mentioned definitely gas-powered with a reliable motor like Honda. That's what I have and it's a reliable workhorse. I've never had luck with the electric ones. p.s. I bought my gas-powered washer off an online market site and paid half what it was new. Some ppl use them once to wash their house and then sell them, so it's a good idea to keep your eyes out for one. Of course if you do that make sure you see it running with no leaks. If it was well-maintained it should last you a long time :)
I garbage picked my Honda powered/ 3100 psi Homelite power washer, about 5 years ago. The nieghbor actoss the road wheeled it out to the road. It didn't have a nozzle on it, but my brother gave me an extra one that he had. It was also missing an air cleaner and cover. It matched the one on my log splitter, so I used that on it for a year, then spent about $15 on a new cover and 2 filters.

I have changed the oil each year and it has run and worked very well every time I used it. They wheeled out a little Rigid portable air compressor the same day. It was missing a hose and plug. I put new ones on it and it too has worked perfectly ever since. It amazes me what some folks throw away.

/ Power Washing the Tractor #40  
To me, cleaning is a fundamental part of maintenance. I always use a blower after every use and wash my tractors when they get mud or manure on them. Usually just a hose but occasionally with a pressure washer. I go easy with the pressure washer around hoses and electrical connections. No problems in over 20 years from that routine.