Practical max distance between pressure tank and water fixtures

/ Practical max distance between pressure tank and water fixtures #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
I've got a situation where I need to run a water line from an existing well pressure tank (40 to 60psi) to a use point between 400 and 800 feet from the tank. Max usage will be 3 to 4 gpm (a couple of household fixtures). The reason for the potential distance variation: The shorter run will be a ***** to dig and install, with lots of buried obstacles to get around. The longer run is "easier." The question is, will I lose too much water pressure? Elevation is roughly the same between the pressure tank and the intended use point.

One other option: The well head is actually very close to the use point. There might be room to put a separate pump above the first pump, and a pressure tank to serve the remote use point. The well casing is 6" diameter.

Any comments about pipe size, doing a second well pump, or anything related, would be appreciated.

/ Practical max distance between pressure tank and water fixtures #2  
Add a second tank close to the use point. It will store volume in your pressure range for a period of time based on it's size.

/ Practical max distance between pressure tank and water fixtures #3  
My well is near the garden but the house and pressure tank is 650 feet away. I do have a tap out by the well to water the garden and never really had a problem. But, when the well is running, the garden tap has higher pressure. The instant the well shuts off, the pressure drops but recovers quickly.

/ Practical max distance between pressure tank and water fixtures #4  
rbstern: I'll assume that your location in Georgia subjects you to concerns with freezing. Your local permit office can tell you the recommended depth to place any new water line.
You don't say the purpose of water at the distant point - potable ? any concerns with sediment coming from the well ? What I'm getting to is - you may, or may not - need to duplicate filters and other water treatment if you chose to run water directly from the well.
Using a 1" line, you'll lose about 15 psi over the run from current accumulator tank. So not bad. Pressure loss will increase if you go with a smaller pipe, which you already know. And the converse will be true.
I'd run Polyethylene (PE as it's known), available in potable grade and non-potable, and run one continuous piece with no joints. If you have rocks in your part of Georgia, then place sand at the bottom of the ditch, and again on top of the PE to keep it separated from rocks. During storage and install - do not "nick" the pipe.
If you go this route, you'll have a choice of barbed fittings with hose clamps ( not for me ) as you switch to copper or PVC for the inside run. Or other choice(s), with much more positive connections. I'll leave addressing those for a further post, if applicable.

/ Practical max distance between pressure tank and water fixtures #5  
Can you not just tap the line from the well to the house and save the digging? Not a well guy (but have had a few) I believe you should view the tank in parallel to the load, not in series. In other words, a tee in the line to the house should work just fine.

Best,

ed

/ Practical max distance between pressure tank and water fixtures #6  
Using a 1" line, you'll lose about 15 psi over the run from current accumulator tank. So not bad. Pressure loss will increase if you go with a smaller pipe, which you already know. And the converse will be true.
Run the 1"pvc from the well almost all the way but then drop back to 3/4" pipe the last 100 feet or so.. shouldn't notice any pressure loss that way .

/ Practical max distance between pressure tank and water fixtures #7  
I'd do a second pressure tank at the far end of the run. The pressure drop is only when the water is flowing and the drop is dependent on the flow rate. Static water will have the same pressure thru out the line.

Pressure drop is dependent on:
coefficient of friction for the pipe material
Length of pipe (fittings add more equivalent length than their physical length)
Pipe diameter
Density of material (water)
Flow velocity

/ Practical max distance between pressure tank and water fixtures #8  
Like others have said I would go at least 1" the majority of the way. From our 1" coop meter we ran 700' of 1 1/2" pvc down the side of our property. From there we branched off 1" PVC to the house and 1" PVC to the shop and barn. I get 60 PSI at the house with plenty of flow. If I were to do it again I would go poly pipe so there are no issues with the joints.